This job is now closed and you may no longer apply.
Posted on 23 August 2013
Closed 10 September 2013
Head of Creative
Job DescriptionMAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
2013 is an incredibly exciting time for communications at WSPA which is the world’s leading international animal welfare organisation. WSPA’s communications team is poised to develop and launch a new high-impact global strategy including an overhaul of the WSPA brand and placing animal welfare amongst the other big global issues of the day.
WSPA employs about 300 people worldwide – and we’re growing. From our 16 offices across the world we develop campaigns that have impact at global, regional and national levels. We are supported by hundreds of thousands of people around the world. With consultative status at the United Nations, WSPA brings together people and organisations throughout the world to challenge and address global animal welfare issues. We have a unique perspective, connecting animal welfare with international development and are focused on delivering sustainable solutions. Our vision is to end animal cruelty – and we need your help.
Working closely with the International Director of Communications, you will be responsible for creative excellence and leading all creative activity. Through this you will help to raise WSPA’s profile across all key external and internal audiences placing us, unquestionably as the world leader in animal protection and moving global audiences to act for animals.
You will be coming up with big conceptual ideas as well as ensuring we deliver awe inspiring designs, that link into the overall WSPA strategic agenda. You will be a creative strategist, responsible for drafting and implementing a clear creative strategy which will help build our global brand and mobilise the public across WSPA’s priority campaign areas.
This is a leadership role and you will be responsible for leading, motivating and inspiring a team to achieve ambitious new goals. You will be strategic and visionary; enthusiastic, motivated and hardworking, with a 'can-do' attitude, eye for detail and a people person who’s not scared of a challenge. You will be dynamic and proactive with proven success in cutting edge creative development. You will thrive on bringing big ideas to life.
This is the perfect time to join a team that is in the process of putting a brand well and truly on the global map – and making a name for this fantastic organisation.
POSITION IN ORGANISATION
• Reports to International Director of Communication
• Direct reports: Editorial Manager; Filmmaker, Photo editor, Graphic Designer and we are looking at two potential regional graphic design reports
• Advise country offices on creative strategies and improving WSPA’s creative outputs
• Work closely in collaboration with the other Heads in Communications – including Brand and Public Mobilisation – to deliver departmental objectives
• Work closely with all key internal and external stakeholders to ensure that creative work supports WSPA’s overall organisational objectives; fundraising objectives and brand redevelopment
• Participate in and actively contribute to regional and global workshops and strategy groups across all aspects of WSPA’s strategy.
• Builds, maintains and works with a roster of leading global agencies
Duties and key responsibilities
• Lead all creative output to ensure compelling, high-impact creative work that builds support, drives the brand and furthers the strategic goals of the organisation
• Implement a clear creative strategy which will help build our brand and mobilise the public across WSPA’s priority campaign areas.
• Work closely with the Deputy Director of Communication – Brand, to ensure our communications leverage the power of our brand and contribute to its on going success
• Promote innovation, big bold ideas and current trends to improve our creative outputs, build our presence and get our message out in cost effective and compelling ways
• Lead and manage the Creative Team in producing the highest quality, powerful communications projects
• Champion the comms request and briefing process.
• On-going recruitment to meet departmental needs
• Remote line management of designers in the Asia Pacific region and North America region and to include other regions if required.
• Ensure the right creative tools/guidelines/templates are current and available for WSPA communications teams globally providing support and advise where appropriate
• Provide consistent, professional client (Internal clients) care through strategic cross-departmental negotiation, project management and problem solving
• Ensures effective use of resources when planning and delivering creative materials encouraging cross functional team working.
• Manage and sign off concepts and final creative work produced by internal teams and external agencies. Ensure a high level of creative collaboration with to harnessing expertise and sharing learning.
• Benchmarking against the worlds leading INGOs and commercial orgs
• Position WSPA as a global brand which has a role to play in addressing the global issues of our time: public health, environment, economy, development; without alienating WSPA’s existing audience
• Contribute to the development of global strategies, policies, guidelines and standards relating to communications and provide leadership in implementing these regionally
• Support and guide country offices in positioning WSPA as the leading international animal welfare organisation
• Support and ensure that all communications to stakeholders, media, supporters and public are aligned with the WSPA brand and consistent on a global and local level
• Develop and maintain good working relationships with external stakeholders such as media, partner organisations, financial supporters, policy makers, to enhance WSPA’s credibility and influence in the promotion of animal welfare
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Creative leadership and innovation
• Substantial proven experience of working in a creative team; to include:-
• Extensive experience managing a creative team and their workload
• Ideally, substantial international communications experience, working within a large and complex international organisation
• Proven experience of leading a multi-disciplinary team, inspiring and motivating them to deliver first class, inspiring and strategic work which supports the overall organisational objectives
• Proven experience of developing, launching and managing high profile creative campaigns
• Proven experience of how creative development ties into the overall organisational strategy and brand strategy
• Strong project management and scheduling skills
• Excellent account management skills
• Strong creative portfolio
• Proven experience of working with audience analysis, understanding audiences and how to produce targeted communications
• Experience of brand strategy and development
• Experience in print, film, editorial and digital production
• Experience of commissioning and working with first class agencies and freelancers
• Developing & monitoring budgets
Skills and competencies:
• Proven experience of exceptional creative leadership qualities
• Highly skilled at managing and co-ordinating projects and developing mutual co-operation across teams
• Proven ability of managing effectively upward and downward
• Plan & think strategically - experience of developing operational and strategic plans with proven experience in turning strategy into effective actions
• Ability to develop and implement innovative solutions to problems and make recommendations that take account of long term benefits and risks
• Excellent pitching and presentation skills
• Demonstrated facilitation and collaboration skills
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills; excellent written and spoken English
• Proactive and a self starter
• Ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships with internal departments across the entire WSPA global network
• Works well within the team environment and able to work under pressure of deadlines
• Excellent eye for detail and a completer finisher
• Good print and digital production knowledge.
• Creating and monitoring/reporting on budgets using Excel spread sheets