This job is now closed and you may no longer apply.
Posted on 28 August 2013
Closed 11 September 2013
Internal Communications Manager
Job DescriptionIf you haven’t already heard of the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA), you are not alone. But if you have the creativity and ambition to inspire our internal communications, then we want to hear from you!
2013 is an incredibly exciting time for communications at WSPA which is the world’s leading international animal welfare organisation. WSPA’s communications team is poised to develop and launch a new high-impact global strategy including an overhaul of the WSPA brand and moving the agendas to place animal welfare amongst the other big global issues of the day.
WSPA employs about 300 people worldwide – and we’re growing. From our 15 offices across the world we develop campaigns that have impact at global, regional and national levels. We are supported by hundreds of thousands of people worldwide. With consultative status at the United Nations, WSPA brings together people and organisations throughout the world to challenge and address global animal welfare issues. We have a unique perspective, connecting animal welfare with international development and are focused on delivering truly sustainable solutions.
We have an ambitious strategy to create a world where animal welfare matters and animal cruelty has ended, and we need the most talented communications professionals to help us achieve this. If you’re up for this exciting new challenge, then get in touch!
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
To develop and deliver engaging and inspiring messages across multiple communication vehicles, within a dynamic global internal communications strategy, to ensure that internal audiences are fully informed and engaged in WSPA’s strategy to move the world to protect animals. This must respond to the changing communication needs of WSPA as it delivers its ambitious organisational strategy and rolls out a new brand; the needs of senior management; and the communication needs and issues of WSPA’s staff, in the International, regional and country offices.
To liaise closely with key internal stakeholders including global leadership teams and members of staff in the International office and in country and regional offices to plan, manage and support internal communication projects and initiatives to ensure collaborative working as One WSPA. To work collaboratively with colleagues in IT on the development of a global intranet. To provide internal communications expertise to the organisational development people projects.
POSITION IN ORGANISATION
Reporting in to the International Head of Media, the Internal Communications Manager will ensure the strategic alignment of both internal and external key messages and communication activities. The role will also work closely with: Regional Communications Teams, Asia-Pacific Internal Communications Manager, Intranet Manager, Head of HR, Organisational Development Manager, and the Global Senior Management Team.
SCOPE OF THE ROLE
- Working closely with the regional communications team to deliver locally tailored internal communications
- Keeping abreast of WSPA’s work globally. Investigating and gathering relevant information, and packaging it for different audiences using your creativity to drive through different channels and communication tools
- Researching and writing informative, relevant copy as well as sub-editing and seeking approval of organisational news and information for use in WSPA’s internal communication vehicles
- Developing content and strategy for WSPA’s global intranet and global newsletters
- Providing expert advice and strategic plans which respond to internal information needs in times of change or need for rapid communications
- Preparing communication resources to support line managers and senior management in their key role as part of the communication chain, encouraging culture of collaboration and integration
- Supporting WSPA’s Organisational Development working group, delivering a variety of related people projects
- Measure, evaluate and improve the effectiveness of internal communication strategies, and the efficiency of tools and vehicles
- Working with the International Head of Media and the Brand team on key messages (updating as necessary) ensuring ‘tone of voice’ guidelines in all communication activities
- Working with the Intranet Manager in the IT team to support the network of intranet page administrators and champions, helping to develop and implement publishing protocols
- Managing the Intranet homepage and News Centre, and regularly reviewing existing intranet content to monitor its accuracy and relevance, to maintain excellent standards
- Supporting colleagues in their communication objectives, though joint working, training and guidance.
- Responsible for managing sensitive and confidential communications strategies, working directly with the Global Leadership Team and the International Head of Media
- Responsible for managing relationships with external suppliers who support the work of internal communications
- Responsible for expenditure of the internal communications annual budget, signing off invoices up to £5,000.
- Demonstrable experience providing an internal communications function within a complex organisation or providing strategic internal communications advice in a complex environment
- Excellent and proven writing ability with experience either as a copywriter or journalist
- Proven track record of managing and delivering communications through a variety of channels
- Proven ability to respond quickly in dealing with potential reputation management issues, acting with tact and diplomacy, while maintaining strict confidentiality
- Proven people management experience, relationship-building skills and experience of working with colleagues at all levels
- Proven ability to influence and negotiate at all levels
- Experience of writing and editing intranet or website content
- Experience of delivering messages in styles appropriate to a variety of audiences
- Experience of working in an organisation with multi-site locations
- Demonstrable success in developing, establishing and maintaining communication systems, including an intranet
- Experience in the use of innovative communications channels for internal comms, including social media and digital channels
- Experience of researching and producing promotional materials
- Experience of organising conferences, events, meetings or similar
- Experience in supporting and driving change programmes.
Skills and Abilities
- Creative and innovative with strong problem solving abilities
- Outstanding communication skills, able to communicate effectively at all levels and present complex information in a simple way
- A diplomatic individual, with excellent interpersonal and stakeholder management skills; able to tackle communication issues sensitively and with total discretion
- Strong IT literacy and experience of working in web-based software, in particular Microsoft SharePoint and Exact Target emailing software - interest in using the latest technology to drive organisational engagement
- Familiarity with HTML
- Proven ability to prioritise work and meet strict deadlines
- A proven track record of writing
- Proven ability to be able to present complex information/messages in a simple way
- Awareness and understanding of the latest internal communications developments and practices
- Experience of developing/ maintaining information tools and resources
- Understanding of complexities of working in a global organisation
- Experience of working with SharePoint and Exact Target
- Personal attributes
- A positive communicator with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Able to deliver under pressure
- Well-organised and able to multi-task effectively
- Drive, creativity and enthusiasm
- Loyalty, integrity and respect for others
- A genuine commitment to the values and ethos of WSPA
To apply, please send a covering letter and CV by 11 September 2013.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.