Posted by Solace Womens Aid
Social Welfare, Training
Health, Medical, Training
About the course
A lot of projects and programs have failed to have the impacts they were designed to have because they did not incorporate GIS in their project operations. A geographical information system (GIS) is a collection of hardware software, and procedures to collect, manage, retrieve, manipulate, analyze and display spatial data. This training workshop will equip participants with the ability to perform multi criteria analysis of WASH, model wash projects, identify Most at Risk Populations, use GIS as a monitoring tool for WASH activities in line with SPHERE minimum standards.
WASH specialists, M & E Experts, Public health,Program Manager, Students and Risk assessors, water engineers.
What you will learn
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
Introduction and definition of concepts
• Reviewing WASH concepts
• Introduction to GIS concepts
• Components of GIS Systems
• GIS functions and capabilities in the context of WASH
• Spatial data concepts & Spatial Data Infrastructure in WASH
Introduction to GIS Software (QGIS)
• Developing standard procedures and guidelines
• Integrating GPS field data into the GIS database
• Facilitated Field exercises in GPS Data Collection for WASH
• Managing and manipulating GIS Data
• Working with tabular data in GIS
• Facilitated practical exercises in working with tabular data in Excel format
• Introduction to Spatial databases
• Facilitated Practical exercises in working with spatial Databases (Geo-databases)
Mobile based data collection in WASH
Case studies and demonstration on various GIS based on project’s data
Case study: GIS and Remote Sensing as a tool in monitoring WASH projects
Development and presentation of maps
• GIS Mapping
• Styling and symbolization
• Cartography and use of Legends
• Mapping resources/Project activities
Facilitated practical exercises in map making and presentation using project data
This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
We can also do this as tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs. Contact us to find out more:
Phone: +254 714349537
The training will be conducted at Devimpact Institute Training Centre, Nairobi Kenya.
The training fee covers tuition fees, training materials, lunch and training venue. Accommodation and airport transfer are arranged for our participants upon request.