Personal Assistant to Executive Director/ Board Secretary Job Description
Job Title: Personal Assistant to Executive Director/Board Secretary
Organisation: 28 Too Many
Responsible to: Executive Director (ED) & Operations Manager/ Chair of Board (Board Sec)
Based in: Barnet, North London/working from home/attending meetings in various locations
Fixed term: Six- 12 month fixed term contract (subject to funding - self-employment essential)
Part-time: Up to 19 hours per week (flexible working arrangements) + 4-5 hours per month a month (Board Sec)
Remuneration: £15 per hour actually worked (based on time sheets) + £10 per hour for Board Sec role
- We will automatically regret an applicant’s CV if there is not a sufficient covering letter stating their suitability for this role.
- This job is partly home-based but also working regularly with the Executive Director from the office in Barnet, north London, and with frequent travel to events in London & occasionally across the UK or internationally. Therefore, the candidate would need to have access to north & central London & be able to work flexible hours including some evenings & weekends.
- A driving license and ability to use your own car for work is essential.
- This job is a rolling fixed-term contract, so the successful candidate would need to be registered as self-employed.
- As the Executive Director is a registered Minister with the Church of England, this role would be preferable for someone who has the same faith & would be comfortable attending church meetings/related events.
- This post would suit someone with at least 10 years’ experience, preferably with some in the public/charity sector
We kindly ask that if you do not fulfil this criteria then please do not apply.
Purpose of the Organisation
28 Too Many is an anti-female genital mutilation research NGO, created to influence change in FGM across the 28 African countries where it is practised and in the diaspora communities in the UK, Europe and North America. Our approach is to create credible information that is used to influence the influencers from grassroots organisations through to heads of government and policy makers.
The main purpose of the job is to provide PA support to the ED and secretarial support to the Board of Trustees.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
Office Administrative Support:
- Providing a variety of administrative support to the Executive Director, such as:
- Responding to emails, letters and drafting replies to complex correspondence
- Printing and photocopying documents, filing
- Dealing with incoming and outgoing post
- Handling banking of donations received to the office
- Updating databases with contacts
- Purchasing supplies, handling deliveries
- Writing and editing reports
- Inputting and processing expenses onto Xero
- Booking and liaising with taxi company
- Liaising with and processing claims for travel from Access to Work including manual form filling
- Carrying out internet research on a variety of subjects as directed by ED
- Organising ED’s events throughout the year including speaking engagements, board meetings and management team meetings. Tasks include:
- Coordinating with internal team and external hosts to organise logistics
- Carrying out research and creating quotes/schedules for trips
- Booking travel as required
- Develop / edit Power Point presentations for ED's talks
- Assisting with hospitality and practical help at events such as setting up exhibition stand, providing refreshments and taking notes as required.
- Providing assistance with all aspects of ED’s book project including:
- Liaising with the publisher
- Helping source appropriate photography from photo library
- Assist with editing chapters, spelling, grammar etc
- Typing up script
- Undertaking research for chapter content, as directed
- Personal Assistance to Executive Director:
- Provide transport with in the UK for ED to attend specific meetings and events
- Accompany ED to events as needed both within the UK and overseas, with overnight stays – some weekends and evening working
- Provide physical & emotional support as required
Board Secretary role specifics:
Provide secretarial support to the Board of Trustees, including tasks such as:
- Preparation for Board Meeting:
- Suggest agenda to the Chair and Executive Director
- Agree and finalise the agenda and distribute to the Board Members and others as needed
- Organise venue and logistics, distribute relevant information as required
- Organise IT for Board members to join meetings via zoom
- Board meeting secretarial support:
- Take minutes of the meetings
- Assist with any other logistical and practical needs on the day such as hospitality and equipment
- Post Board Meeting:
- Send out minutes to all concerned
- Update any responses onto minutes and chase actions as required.
- Provide assistance with other events/tasks:
- Organise Board Away Day including venue sources and booking, creating the agenda as directed, organising catering/travel as needed, sending out information.
- Recruitment of New Trustee’s:
- Collecting CV’s of suitable candidates
- Sourcing and checking references
- Updating skills matrix as required
- Liaise with candidates & Board sub-committee to organise interviews
- Organise induction of new trustee’s as needed
ESSENTIAL PROVEN ABILITIES
• Appropriate experience (10+ years) in business and/or office administration, ideally previous experience of providing PA support and/or Board level support
• Experience of event and/or meeting organisation
• Desired experience of working in an NGO, public sector or charity
• Desired experience of caring
• High degree of written and verbal communications skills
• Extensive PC skills – Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, internet research.
• Strong organisational skills, including prioritisation and planning
• Ability to produce reports and presentations
• Strong inter-personal/relational skills
• Ability to undertake research
• Accurate proofing/editing & grammar skills
• Desirable but not essential: knowledge of Zoom & Xero
• Driving license
• Attention to detail
• Ability to confidently represent the organisation at events & meetings as needed
• Mature and ordered approach
• Ability to work on own initiative and make decisions
• Receptive to guidance
• Able to retain confidentiality at a high level
• Desirable: Christian faith
• Comfortable in attending inter-faith/multi-faith/Christian events
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.