38 Degrees is one of the UK's biggest campaigning communities, involving over 2 million supporters who campaign to make the UK a better place. We are united by a set of shared values; to defend fairness, protect rights, promote peace, preserve the planet and deepen democracy.
In the space of a week, millions of members could be campaigning on anything from protecting our NHS and stopping cuts to Universal Credit, to saving local libraries and pushing for laws that welcome more refugees.
38 Degrees is fiercely independent. We do not take donations from political parties, or big donors. We’re run on hundreds of thousands of small donations from the public. This independence means we never have to hold ourselves back from taking on those with power and can truly listen to our members.
The entire team is currently working remotely and we are open to applicants who would like to work remotely on a permanent basis.
Why you’ll want to work here
The 38 Degrees culture is honest, kind, supportive, courageous, and respectful. We move fast, and frequently change plans to respond to events. We work hard but we also have fun. We regularly enjoy team away days and social hours. Benefits include:
27 days holiday per year (plus Bank Holidays), Employer pension contribution,
24 hour employee support line, Enhanced family leave policies, Cycle to work scheme,
Free annual flu vaccination, Rental deposit loan, Contribution to eye tests/glasses,
Learning and development budget
Special COVID provisions:
- 9-day fortnight (every other Friday off)
- COVID flex leave
Campaigners at 38 Degrees are responsible for designing and delivering effective campaign tactics that build our people-powered movements and win campaigns. We’re looking for outstanding campaigners with proven abilities to use technology creatively (mass email, CRM tools, digital marketing) and brilliant communications skills (media relations, social content and top-notch copywriting). You’ll work with campaign managers and directors to input into campaign strategy, and you’ll also take on ownership of smaller campaigns and lead strands of work within larger campaigns. You will thrive on change and enjoy working across campaigns from numerous thematic areas.
- Experience delivering campaign tactics and working within teams.
- An understanding of the different strategies that can be used to apply pressure to decision makers.
- Flexibility to quickly pivot on issues and strategies, and the ability to balance reactive campaigns with longer-term work.
- Understanding of how to quickly distill complex issues down to concise narratives and a demonstrable ability to write fantastic, clear, and persuasive copy quickly.
- Proven ability to get to grips with new technology (like a mass email platform or the Facebook ad platform) quickly and calmly.
- A deep commitment to our mission of empowering our members to win campaigns on the issues they care most about.
- Experience working with the press and developing media pitches.
- Experience effectively and creatively using social media to organise movements and engage new audiences.
- Corporate - experience in corporate affairs/comms or inhouse CSR
- Journalism of successfully pitching stories into local or national press and getting coverage
- Advocacy & Relationship Management - experience talking directly to the public and Partners
38 Degrees is committed to inclusive working practices, so during the application process we commit to:
- Paying for childcare whilst you’re at 38 Degrees interviews or tasks
- Paying for your travel costs to the office and back – and for overnight accommodation if you’re travelling from a long distance. Right now though, given the restrictions COVID-19 presents, we are expecting all interviews to be held online using zoom.
- Making any reasonable adjustments – for example ensuring we have BSL interpreters organised in advance if you’d like them
- If there anything else you’re concerned about or think we could provide, please let us know. The successful candidate must have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment.
The successful candidate must have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment.
You can apply for this role by emailing your CV and responses to the below questions to the email address provided.
As part of the application process please can you ensure you cover the following in the supporting statement (100 - 300 words per point):
- What attracted you to apply for this role at 38 Degrees?
- Which of 38 Degrees’ issues or campaigns do you care most about and why?
- Tell us a time when you received feedback that was tough but useful. What did you learn from this feedback?
- Give an example of a successful project or campaign that you were part of. What was your role? What made the project successful in your view?