Term of Employment: Full-Time, At-Will, Exempt
Location: Remote, Global (Home-Office, Country of Residence)
Reports to: Senior Vice President of Development
Start Date: June 1, 2021
Application Closing Date: May 1, 2021
50by40 is a coalition of organizations dedicated to cutting the global production and consumption of animal products by 50% by 2040. Join our global team offering regional and international expertise on food systems, climate policy, and global and multi-sector engagement. We collaborate with partners and support their efforts in a broad swathe of sectors from vastly different backgrounds, yet wholly dedicated in their missions to improve the ways food is produced and consumed.
How You Will Make a Difference
50by40 seeks to hire a High-level Individual Donor Manager who can engage with high-level donors to further our mission of 50% reduction of animal agriculture by 2040. Our grant-funded projects are implemented by our partners and harness the organizational, operational, technological, and financial landscape of an equitable global food system transition. The role will help drive funding to 50by40’s partners and the operating budget for the organization.
The High-level Individual Donor Manager will be responsible for acquiring and managing relationships with individual major donors and maintaining relationships with existing stakeholders. The role will be part of the development team and be instrumental in driving forward the mission and critical pathway of 50by40.
- In conjunction with the Senior Vice President of Development, develop and implement a three-year major-donor development and cultivation strategy.
- Strategize and implement minimum annual fundraising goals, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue.
- Strategize and communicate 50by40’s theory of change and long-term goals to high-net-worth level donors in meetings, presentations, and other outreach activities.
- Develop a close working relationship with the fundraising staff of 50by40 partners as well as exiting funders.
- Continue developing and testing innovative and creative approaches to fund animal protein reduction efforts in areas and sectors where such activities have previously lacked.
- Keep abreast of trends in philanthropy and institutional giving.
External Partnerships/Relationship Management
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with high-level individual donors across climate, environmental, health, and food systems sectors.
- Acquire and build relationships with major donors in Europe and the USA, and maintain relationships with existing donors.
- Coordinate with the Senior Vice President of Development to draw and expertise and existing networks
- Represent 50by40 in relevant networks, events, fundraising gatherings, etc.
- Participate and prepare presentation materials for board and high-level donor meetings
- In collaboration with the Development Coordinator, maintain and expand the internal database of donors, partners, and allies across sectors and movements.
- In collaboration with the Development Coordinator, streamline 50by40’s grant-making system through WeChangers; increased automation, data management, donor receipts, grant agreement processing, grant reporting, sharing stories, etc.
- Ensure all handling of funds adhere to local, state, and federal laws, and all development activities follow established best practices.
- Have at least five years of high-level donor fundraising and stewardship.
- Experience developing and implementing a broad-based fundraising program, including personally opening doors, cultivating and successfully closing major gifts.
- Possess a track record of identifying, securing, and maintaining significant, multi-year, multi-million, public funds from donors internationally.
- Grant writing and project management experience are required—progressive experience in successful development programs and knowledge of “best practices” in development.
- Experience in financial reporting, analysis, and nonprofit accounting.
- Possess strong personal credibility for persuasive dialogue with major donors in person and writing.
- Have a strong project management ethos with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Have the ability to build rapport and maintain multi-sectoral stakeholder relationships.
- Possess a strong sense of teamwork and keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Have the ability to determine work priorities and juggle multiple tasks efficiently.
- Have the capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment operating in multiple time zones.
- Have high ethical standards and commitment to 50by40’s core values.
- Have a strong understanding of funders (e.g., governments, multilateral institutions, and foundations), different contract types, and reporting requirements associated with grant funding.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in strategic fundraising and philanthropy, nonprofit and fundraising management, sustainable development, business administration, international relations, sustainability, climate change, or related fields.
- Experience developing and editing high-quality grant proposals, including developing theories of change, budgets, and work plans for complex, multi-year, and global projects.
- Know the international philanthropic donor landscape and trends, with demonstrable experience in fundraising with a diverse group of donors, including private and corporate foundations and governments.
- Possess knowledge of UN processes and such as the UNFCCC, FAO, and WFP.
- Possess knowledge of the SDGs and how they relate to food systems.
- Experience with working remotely within dispersed teams.
- Understanding of effective altruism.
- Know of innovations in food, as well as an understanding of the global food sector.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, knowledge of Mailchimp, Google Suite, and Monday(dot)com
- Salary: Commensurate with experience, highly competitive
- Enjoy trust-based flexible working and home-office arrangements.
- Progressive and flexible Responsible PTO.
- QSEHRA (US Full-time Employees).
Send your cover letter and CV to us by May 1, 2021.
Strengthened by Diversity
At 50by40, we believe that the best ideas come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences. Committed to inclusivity, diversity, and equality, 50by40 offers equal opportunities to all applicants regardless of race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or anything else that makes them unique.