Research to prevent premature birth
Around the world, 15 million children are born prematurely. 1 million children are born too early to survive; in those who do survive, many suffer life-long disability.
The Borne Foundation (Borne) supports research that advances our understanding of pregnancy and preterm birth. By improving our knowledge of normal and abnormal pregnancy outcomes through scientific research, Borne-funded scientists and clinicians will develop more effective treatment strategies to prevent or delay the onset of preterm labour when complications arise, and identify the means to implement effective early screening for all women in early pregnancy.
Borne is committed to making childbirth safer for mothers and babies, ensuring every child’s first day on earth would not be their hardest, or their last. It is an amazing time to support a young, growing charity with incredible potential to improve the lives of future generations of children – and their parents – who would otherwise be born too soon.
Borne benefits from the support of a growing network of friends and benefactors who share Borne’s vision and hope that the research that Borne supports will have the potential to give thousands of babies a better start in life. We have the capacity and connections to bring together an influential group of generous philanthropists, senior decision-makers from the corporate sector, successful entrepreneurs and icons from the across the sporting, fashion, entertainment and arts world, united in their commitment to family life and their appreciation of the poignant purpose of Borne’s work.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Relationship Manager with a proven track record in high net worth relationship stewardship and corporate fundraising. Accountable to the Chief Operating Officer, you will have responsibility for raising charitable income at the five and six figure gift level from high net worth individuals, entrepreneurs, corporate partners, and trusts and foundations. You will manage and grow the charity’s portfolio of major giving donors, maintaining close personal relationships, and involving them in the activities of the charity whenever possible. You will be instrumental in stewarding existing major donors and encouraging repeat donations as we report back to them on the impact of their philanthropic investment. You will also be taking the lead on crafting compelling bids and proposals for charitable funding, negotiating funding agreements and following through with the implementation of successful bids.
The role will suit an energetic self-starter with strong relationship building skills, who is conversant with charity fundraising and securing major gifts from high net worth individuals, companies and philanthropic trusts and foundations.
- Stewarding a growing portfolio of prospective donors that are introduced to Borne through our Founder, Trustees and network of high net worth supporters and raising charitable income through regular gifts or a significant contribution at the five or six figure level.
- Working closely with the Events and Marketing team to invite appropriate supporters to host teams or tables at Borne events, and to introduce others to the charity.
- Work with entrepreneurs and companies introduced to Borne to successfully forge purposeful partnerships that generate charitable income or help Borne stage events with less/no costs.
- Coordinating with Borne’s office manager on thanking supporters for their gifts and securing Gift Aid declarations for eligible gifts.
- Advocating and driving the use of Borne’s CRM system to manage all donor and partnership relationships.
- Collating and assimilating complex data and information to write winning philanthropic grant applications that are eloquent, compelling and evocative to capture assessors’ imaginations.
- Working with the COO and Borne’s fundraising team to periodically prepare progress and impact reports in line with funding terms to update donors on outputs and outcomes from the research that they helped fund.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have substantial experience as a successful fundraiser in the charity sector.
- Be comfortable managing key stakeholder relationships and have the ability to influence senior level individuals both internally and externally.
- Be capable of engaging senior academics, clinicians and researchers with an intellectual curiosity to understand and effectively communicate complex scientific areas of research.
- Have a clear understanding and practical experience of working within the regulatory framework, international tax codes and ethical codes of practice associated with fundraising.
- Be a strategic thinker with the ability to identify new opportunities for developing the fundraising opportunity with our network of supporters.
- Possess highly developed communication and interpersonal skills; and be persuasive with both internal and external stakeholders in articulating an inspiring and compelling case for support of Borne.
- Have a strong ‘can do’ attitude that is motivational to the rest of the team.
- Be a collaborative team player who is prepared to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in alongside a small and dedicated team.
- Be IT literate with proficiency in using Microsoft Office and CRM.
- Embrace the potential of CRM to drive and support a data and process driven approach to fundraising.
- Be educated to graduate level or equivalent.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.