ASN has a solid income stream of individual giving, with both one-off and more than 1,100 regular donors. We want to both retain and grow this income base and work with our individual supporters in the widest way possible, encouraging them to also fundraise and network on our behalf. This will build on our robust pre-pandemic community fundraising and which we are keen to reboot/pivot online. We have the beginnings of a small major donor income stream, which we believe has potential to grow. Our trusts and foundations programme is also small, but as we develop more work within Europe, we believe this could grow through targeted approaches to funders of European work.
Reporting to ASN’s Founder & Director, you will help to develop and implement Abortion Support Network’s Fundraising and Communications programme. You will work with a network of volunteers with varying levels of experience to grow and diversify ASN’s income through individual giving, major gifts, community fundraising and trusts and foundations. You will develop and implement ASN’s communications strategy, ensuring our messaging and brand is consistent across online (incl. website, social media) and offline channels, ensuring that our fundraising and communications are linked up. You will also work with the Director and our Bookkeeper to ensure that our income projections and budgeting are in line with fundraising activities and goals and support ASN’s wider financial management processes.
We’re looking for someone with high attention to detail, who is both self-motivated and a team player, someone with social justice values who wants to be part of a dynamic and growing organisation to provide critical support to people who want abortions.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing, reviewing and implementing ASN’s fundraising and communications strategy
- Working with ASN’s team of fundraising and communications volunteers to achieve income targets and associated communications KPIs
- Managing the recruitment, induction and ongoing support of all ASN fundraising and communications volunteers
- Developing and implementing innovative individual giving campaigns to grow monthly and one-off gifts
- Developing bespoke ‘Case for Support’ for prospective and current major donors to ensure retention and year-on-year growth
- Conducting due diligence and prospect research on prospective major donors to ensure high-quality relationships
- Ensuring regular communications with individual donors, keeping them up to date with our work and the impact their donations have had, ensuring retention remains at or above industry standard
- Developing and implementing a strategy to ensure database growth through acquisition
- Supporting Trusts & Foundations volunteers to develop a robust prospect pipeline
- Working with the Community Fundraising and communications volunteers to develop and implement community fundraising events and support groups who would like to fundraise for ASN, both online and when possible in person
- Working with Social Media Volunteers to ensure interesting, relevant and consistent content across platforms (incl. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook)
- Working with ASN’s Director and Bookkeeper to develop and monitor budgets and income forecasts based on existing and planned fundraising activities
- Assisting with forecasting, management accounts and reporting across financial KPIs to the Director and the Board of Trustees
- Updating and maintaining the database in line with the General Data Protection Regulations
- Implementing the Equal Opportunities Policy into daily activities
- Undertaking any other duties as may reasonably be required in this post
- Keeping abreast of key fundraising and communications trends and issues and the regulatory environment. Ensuring that standards are set, procedures followed, and issues acted upon or communicated to relevant staff
- Four years of experience in fundraising and/or communications
- Demonstrable experience in developing and running successful online individual giving campaigns
- Proven experience in running acquisition campaigns, with a detailed understanding of retention rates, lifetime value etc.
- Demonstrable understanding of how varying fundraising income streams can intersect i.e. regular gift into a major gift
- Demonstrable experience in working across a range of communications channels
- Proven experience in recruiting and managing volunteers
- Proven experience of forecasting income and creating budgets
- Ability to plan strategically and implement those plans
- Exceptional organisational skills with experience of managing multiple tasks and prioritising effectively
- Excellent communication skills including a high level of attention to detail, both written and oral
- Ability and willingness to work as a team and to use own initiative
- Excellent presentation skills, confidence in making personal approaches and representing ASN externally
- Computer literate and confident in using all MS Office software
- Financially literate with ability to analyse and contribute to budgets, management accounts, financial reporting and forecasts.
- Knowledge of a fundraising database
- Ability to travel internationally on an occasional basis
- Willingness to work, if required, on evenings/weekends
- Experience in fundraising in other territories (i.e. Poland and other countries in Europe)
- Experience in other forms of fundraising such as Major Giving, Trusts & Foundations and/or community fundraising
- Experience of financial management within a small charity
- Experience of using platforms including or similar to Donorfy, MailChimp and various payment platforms (Fundraise Up, Stripe, Apple Pay, PayPal, etc)
- Experience working with the press and fielding press enquiries
- Post-holder must be pro-choice. This will be evaluated at interview
- Trustworthy, patient, flexible and a good relationship builder
- Ambitious, innovative, target-driven and self-motivated
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Open to new ways of working, learning new tasks and skills as required
- Committed to building meaningful, personal relationships with our supporters
- Strongly motivated by success and passionate about seizing opportunities as they present themselves
- Driven by the desire to give our supporters an excellent experience
Abortion Support Network especially encourages applications from People of Colour, LGBTQ+ people (we are a trans-inclusive organisation), people with disabilities, and people who have experienced other exclusion or marginalisation. We have tried to make this recruitment process as accessible as possible, but if you have particular needs please get in touch and we can think together about how to make this process more accessible for you.
Please submit CV and cover letter of no more than two pages detailing why you would suit the role and any other information you believe to be relevant. Deadline for applying is Wed 17 March by 9 pm.
Successful applicants will be invited to take part in a two stage interview process, both conducted over Zoom or Skype. The first interview will include skills testing. The first round of interviews will be scheduled to take place Monday 29 March and the morning of Wednesday 31 March.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.