Are you looking to utilise your knowledge of, and interest, in climate change and further develop your research skills? This is an ideal opportunity to gain high quality, CV boosting, work experience in an internationally recognised charity.
With programmes in nearly 50 countries, Action Against Hunger undertakes advocacy around the world on reducing malnutrition, and on effective humanitarian action in complex crises. The Climate Research and Advocacy Volunteer will provide support to the implementation of our UK advocacy activities. Working under the supervision of the UK Food Crisis Researcher, they will assist with undertaking policy analysis, internal research within the Action Against Hunger global network and the development of reports for publication.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Supporting the Food Crisis Researcher in the implementation of research activities in the UK
- Undertaking policy and technical research on climate change
- Supporting the development of campaign actions on climate change
- Editing reports for publication
- Supporting an internal research project on Action Against Hunger’s response to climate change.
Key competencies required:
- Good written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to write for different audiences
- Good research skills, with the ability to analyse and think critically
- Understanding of climate change adaptation and mitigation and how it is linked to food, nutrition and conflict.
- Good editing and proof-reading skills
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office)
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to respond flexibly to changing priorities and to work to deadlines
- Ability to think strategically and solve problems
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a small team
Other desirable qualities:
- Academic background in health/international development or related area.
- Some experience or knowledge of hunger and nutrition issues in developing countries
- Fluency in French
What we offer:
- An opportunity to make a valuable contribution to the work of Action Against Hunger and gain exposure to an internationally recognised charity
- Experience of working within a professional environment
- Career mentoring throughout the duration of the volunteer placement and the opportunity to develop tangible skills for use in future employment
- Reimbursement of reasonable receipted travel costs within TfL zones 1 – 6 (where necessary)
- Reimbursement of receipted lunch expenses up to £5 per volunteering day
Please read the following carefully before making your application:
- We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community
- You can only be considered for this role if you possess the essential key competency requirements set out above. You should use the "cover letter" section of the online application to demonstrate this.
- Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we will only contact shortlisted candidates, within one week of the closing date. Unfortunately we cannot provide individual feedback.
- If you experience any technical difficulties in submitting your application, please contact the charityjob helpdesk
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.