We are looking for an experienced Welfare Benefits Advisor to join our team.
Title: Welfare Benefits Advisor (Adults)
Salary: £23k to £28k per year, depending on experience
Hours: 37.5 hours a week
Place of work: AoD, Normand Croft School, Lillie Road, London SW6 7SR
Contract period: Permanent
Accountable to: Welfare Benefits Team Leader
Action on Disability (AoD), founded in 1979, is one of London’s leading Deaf and Disabled People’s Organisations. As we believe in the social model of disability, our values and principles embrace inclusive and accessible ways of working both internally and in all our activities, seek the participation and contribution of our members, and encourage and respect diversity.
The organisation is a medium sized charity with a Board of Trustees (at least 75% is disabled trustees), 25 staff and a strong ad hoc staff and volunteer base including many with direct experience of disability - all of whom are passionate about removing the barriers that disabled people face.
AoD provides five key services. These are: Youth, Employment, Welfare Benefits, Independent Living and Advocacy.
About AoD’s Welfare Benefits Service
The Welfare Benefits Service provides free independent advice and assistance to all disabled residents and their carers who live and work in Hammersmith and Fulham borough. The service is for all ages, including parents and carers of disabled children.
We provide free advice and assistance, up to and including Tribunal level, on all Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) benefits, Tax Credits, and some local authority benefits.
The Welfare Benefits Advisor will:
- Provide high quality Welfare Benefits advice and casework and, as appropriate, representation at the 1st Tier Tribunals for disabled individuals of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.
- Write Mandatory Reconsideration requests and in a limited number of cases, write appeal submissions.
- Undertake direct welfare advice and casework.
- Maintain appropriate records of work undertaken using an appropriate electronic Welfare Benefits Recording and Information System via AoD’s Charity Log, and through the use of Excel
- Gather information to monitor and evaluate the service.
- Contribute to Welfare Benefits related publicity material, social media, reports for the Board of Trustees and other stakeholders and other documents as required.
- This post requires travel to different locations, e.g. for home visits.
For all work:
- Work in a person-centred way
- Produce agreed regular monitoring and progress reports
- Comply with AoD’s agreed policies and procedures.
- Participate in the wider development of the service and contribute to service improvement as required.
- Be computer literate and administratively self-supporting.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as identified by the line manager.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS check.
To be considered for this role, candidates must have:
- At least two years’ full time (or part time equivalent) paid experience of benefit advice work.
- Experience of preparing for tribunals and representing clients.
- Experience of welfare rights casework and managing own case load.
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of welfare benefits including those related to disability and sickness.
Deadline for the return of completed applications is 5pm on the 12th August 2020. Interviews will be held over two days on 25th and 26th August 2020.
To Apply and for More Information:
If you would like to apply and find out more about this position, please click the Apply button to be directed to our website where you can download the job description and application form.
Action on Disability positively welcomes applications from disabled people.
No agencies please.