Working closely with the Marketing and Volunteer Onboarding Manager and the rest of the Onboarding Team, you will support volunteer recruitment and marketing and be responsible for the day to day management of our website, including SEO, and blog.
The role is varied with plenty of opportunities to engage with our volunteer network and develop your digital marketing skills. Confidence in making calls and engaging with people is vital as well as an interest in the charity sector and/or education. You will need strong verbal and written communication skills and be confident adapting your approach and persuading when required, as well as strong creative skills to produce engaging blog and web content.
There will be opportunities to develop data management analytical skills, when monitoring volunteers’ onboarding progress and reviewing the impact of website activities, using Google Analytics.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work with the Marketing and Volunteer Onboarding Manager to ensure the regular recruitment of high-quality volunteer tutors who meet Action Tutoring’s criteria.
Shared responsibility of assessing new volunteer applications, according to Action Tutoring’s guidelines, and carrying out telephone interviews to assess suitability.
- Encourage tutors to book onto training sessions through targeted calls.
- Responsibility for the day to day management of Action Tutoring’s website, developing and editing content. Regularly monitor keyword usage and make edits to improve SEO.
- Responsible for the charity’s blog, maintaining a content plan and generating posts in line with the charity’s wider campaigns, volunteer recruitment rounds and key messages, ensuring regular diverse posting.
- Regularly analyse and report on Action Tutoring’s web user activities using Google Analytics. Make changes and identify opportunities to increase the volume of volunteer applications and school enquiries generated by these pages.
- Shared responsibility for maintaining Action Tutoring’s online volunteer advertisements, ensure copy is kept up-to-date and adverts are live.
- Support with getting tutors signed up to programmes through targeted calls.
- Shared responsibility for volunteer calls to those who don’t complete their Disclosure and Barring Service check at training: checking their ID and processing their check and calls to chase those who don’t book on. Full training will be given for this.
- Support with marketing content generation for marketing materials, campaigns, events, website and social media when required, including video footage.
- Occasionally support delivery of online volunteer induction training sessions.
- Any other duties deemed reasonable by the Chief Executive Officer.
As a charity that values and celebrates people's diversity and champions opportunities for all young people, we are keen to receive applications from people who have experienced disadvantage and from those who are of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities who are currently underrepresented in our organisation.
If you are dedicated to ensuring young people from all backgrounds reach a meaningful level of academic attainment and are passionate about bringing about this change, please apply today or get in touch for more information.
Place of work: We consider remote working from the UK for this role for the right candidate, but occasional visits to the London office and travel to external events, meetings and Action Tutoring regions would be required.
London office: The Dock, Tobacco Quay, Wapping Lane, E1W 2SF.
Contract and working hours: Full-time (37.5 hours per week) permanent contract.
Start date: ASAP or Beginning/Mid October 2021.
Closing date and interviews: Friday, 24th September 2021, 12pm. Interviews on 29th September 2021.
All Action Tutoring staff must have a DBS check. Should you be aware of any incidents, cautions or convictions that would appear on your DBS check, you should notify us with your application.
- Right to work in the UK.
We are seeking applications from individuals who are:
- Able to work independently and use initiative in a range of situations.
- Able to maintain a positive approach to repeated tasks and processes, with a sustained high level of accuracy and commitment.
- Able to interact with a range of audiences and have outstanding verbal and written communication skills. The role involves regular communication with volunteer tutors and you will need to be able to adapt your communication style to different audiences, upholding Action Tutoring’s high standards of professionalism in all interactions.
- Knowledge or experience of website editing, SEO and Google Analytics.
- Able to meet deadlines and undertake administration to a high standard.
- Enthusiastic and open to new ideas. Action Tutoring values the creative input of all staff members to innovate and drive improvements.
- Adaptable and open to learning. You will need to be willing to adapt and to grow and develop with the organisation.
- Efficient and able to work under pressure when required, able to multi-task and juggle a varied workload.
- Interested in the charity and education sectors.
- Confident carrying out calls and engaging with people.
- Well-organised, able to prioritise and multitask.
- Committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Committed to the mission and values of Action Tutoring.
- Committed to promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children.
- Experience of working with volunteers.
- Analytical skills.
- Graphic design.
- Video editing.
- Sales, recruitment or marketing experience.
- Experience using databases (including Salesforce).
- Able to think creatively and generate content to effectively convey messages.
- Hybrid working
We offer a flexible combination of office and home based working.
25 days holiday a year (plus UK public holidays), increasing by a day for each complete year of service (up to three extra days).
- Flexitime and TOIL
We have a flexible policy for working hours, and offer TOIL where staff have to work particularly early in the day or late in the evening, so that they can reclaim those hours at another time.
- Team away days
The whole team across the UK gets together three times a year.
We have a workplace pension scheme with a 3% employer contribution.
- Culture of celebrating
Regular thanks and praise and monthly recognition of ’heroes’ to celebrate employees going above and beyond.
Lots of opportunities to learn from others in the organisation, including policy briefings, shadowing colleagues and peer-to-peer development.
Team socials around team days, regular bring-and-share team lunches and other activities.
As well as checking the accuracy of all content Action Tutoring shares with external audiences, our proofreading team supports individuals who would value an extra pair of eyes on their writing.
-Ad hoc projects
Interested in other exciting topics relevant to our charity? Then join one of our working groups (including policy, diversity and inclusion, curriculum and training, socials, data and insights) and support with ongoing projects.
How to apply
Please apply by clicking the button above and provide your CV and a cover letter outlining (max 1 page A4):
(When uploading one document, please click 'upload', rather than 'finish application' to make sure that it attaches, and to allow you to upload another document.)
1) Any previous digital marketing experience, including clear examples.
2) Evidence of strong written and verbal communications skills, including clear examples.
3) Your ability to be resilient when things are not going the way you thought, and commitment to repeated tasks, including clear examples.
4) Tell us about how our organisational values align with your values.
Applications that fail to meet these criteria will automatically be discounted.
We want you to have every opportunity to shine and to show us your talents - please let us know if there is anything we can do to make sure the assessment process works for you.
Please visit our website for further details