London WC1H: Hybrid working, with around 40% of your time per month being office based.
The Chevening Programme is a prestigious global scholarships programme, funded and directed by the Scholarships Unit at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO). It celebrated its 35th anniversary in 2018. The Programme is managed by the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) as part of its commitment to the development of higher education as a power for good across the Commonwealth and beyond and its work to strengthen and support international mobility of people and ideas.
The Communications Officer (Chevening) will work in collaboration with colleagues across the Chevening Secretariat and the Strategic Communications Directorate to deliver against Chevening’s ambitious communications strategy and support the wider strategic objectives of the ACU.
The postholder will work closely with colleagues across the Secretariat and the ACU to provide best practice communications support that creates a community of highly engaged scholars and alumni.
About the ACU:
The ACU is an international organisation dedicated to building a better world through higher education.
We believe that international collaboration is central to this ambition. By bringing universities together from around the world – and crucially the people who study and work within them - we help to advance knowledge, promote understanding, broaden minds, and improve lives.
We champion higher education as a cornerstone of stronger societies, supporting our members, partners, and stakeholders as they adapt to a changing world.
As Communications Officer (Chevening) your responsibilities will include:
- Generating new ideas for engaging our audiences across our social channels – experience creating social media strategies is a bonus.
- Taking ownership of our newsletter targeted to Chevening applicants, ensuring consistently high engagement through creative content.
- Monitoring, evaluating and learning from communications activities, using tools such as Keyhole and Google Analytics.
- Building strong, collaborative relationships with the Chevening Alumni, UK, and Fellowships teams, and the wider ACU team, to ensure our communications are supporting a positive scholar and alumni experience.
- Proactively identifying and initiating opportunities and projects to support the successful delivery of Chevening’s communications strategy.
- Managing relationships with external suppliers and content design agencies.
- Reporting on the progress of communications campaigns to staff and stakeholders.
- Occasionally attending virtual and in-person events to gather content and share insights.
Some of the skills you need to be able to demonstrate include:
- In-depth knowledge and experience of digital strategy, expanding reach and engagement on social media, across Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and TikTok.
- Experience sourcing creative content and designing newsletters. Experience using Campaign Monitor is a bonus.
- Able to consistently generate new ideas for achieving communications objectives.
- Strong organisational skills, able to multitask and stick to deadlines.
- Knowledge and experience of developing, maintaining, and updating a website using website content management systems (CMS).
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Experience advising and managing stakeholders across all levels.
- Ability to manage relations and contracts with external suppliers.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion with the ability to relate to and collaborate with a range of international stakeholders.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively with drive and at pace.
Desirable but not essential:
- Experience working in the higher education sector or leadership development.
- Experience of event management.
- An understanding of Google Analytics and SEO.
Our benefits include 31 days holiday per year (including 4 Christmas closure days) plus bank holidays, competitive pension scheme (10% employer contribution plus 5% employee contribution), season ticket loan and excellent support for learning and development through a range of educational and networking activities.
At the ACU, we welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of gender, race, religion, marital status, disability, age, and sexual orientation.
As Communications Officer (Chevening), you will be employed by ACU Trading Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary.
How to apply
Closing date: Monday 7 February 2022
Interview date: Week commencing 7 February 2022