Please enter your email address to proceed with the application.
We recognised your email address. Sign in to prefill your application.
Step 1 out of 4
Your CV has been uploaded successfully.
Step 1 out of 4
It's time to upload your CV:
Step 2 out of 4
Add a cover letter to maximise your chances of getting this job.
Step 4 out of 4
Whoop! Your application is ready to be submitted.
Step 3 out of 4
Almost done! Please enter your details.
Want to tailor your application?
Go through the usual application process to upload a new CV and cover letter.
Afghanaid is seeking an enthusiastic individual to play a key part in communicating how Afghanaid is changing lives in Afghanistan. We are looking for someone who is passionate about Afghanaid's work, has an eye for powerful images and engaging stories, and a talent for creative communications and social media. This internship has the potential to progress into a longer term role within Afghanaid for the right candidate.
The Fundraising Communications and Social Media Intern will be based in London (Bethnal Green) and report to the Communications and Fundraising Manager. The role will work closely with team members in London and Afghanistan, whose overall aim is to generate essential organisational funding.
Afghanaid’s fundraising success relies upon ambitious and skilled individuals who capitalise on their knowledge and experience. This internship requires someone with excellent organisational skills and attention to detail; determination in achieving objectives; a basic understanding of key humanitarian and development principles; strong communication and writing skills; the ability to work effectively in teams; and a keen interest in charity fundraising.
Afghanaid is keen to engage someone who is committed to the aims of Afghanaid; has the skills and determination to learn quickly; the confidence and can-do spirit to take on projects of their own (with the guidance of a supervisor); and the outgoing nature to develop and maintain relationships with supporters.
Reporting to the Communications and Fundraising Manager within the Executive Department, you will be at the forefront of demonstrating to the public how Afghanaid is changing lives in Afghanistan. You will perform a variety of administrative tasks to support the smooth functioning of the fundraising team; contribute to the retention and growth of our supporter base by producing content for our fundraising communications; and support the management of our social media channels and engage with current and potential supporters online. You will be given close support and guidance to undertake the tasks detailed below.
FUNDRAISING COMMUNICATIONS (85%)
● Work closely with the Communications and Fundraising Manager to assist in all supporter liaison and fundraising communications activities;
● Identify opportunities for positive exposure of Afghanaid, and opportunities to inspire new support;
● Liaise with project staff in Afghanistan to gather case studies and photos to develop into communications content;
● Create, edit and schedule engaging content across all social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube (images, videos, animations/gifs and infographics);
● Use social media platforms to promote our website content and drive traffic to our website;
● Help oversee, collect and analyse social media metrics to assess the effectiveness and reach of our online presence, and make recommendations for improvement;
● Monitor online content posted by others on our social media platforms and respond in an appropriate and timely manner;
● Identify opportunities to engage new audiences, potentially with targeted content;
● Identify and cultivate relationships with new social media accounts;
● Identify trends and cultural moments on social media which are relevant to Afghanaid and identify ways to get involved;
● Help develop, maintain and execute a social media content calendar across platforms to grow community engagement, awareness, and adoption;
● Contribute to the development and implementation of a social media strategy.
● Help keep the website up to date by drafting copy and proofreading content to ensure it is grammatically correct and sensitive to the cultural and security considerations within Afghanistan.
● Support in the creation of monthly email newsletters to be sent to our subscribers.
● Process post and answer the office telephone;
● Miscellaneous office support tasks, e.g. set up quarterly Board of Trustees meetings;
● Monitor the [email protected] account, responding to email enquiries where appropriate or forwarding on to the relevant member of staff.
● Provide logistical support during Afghanaid’s fundraising events, and any community fundraising events, where necessary.
Please see the attached document for the full job description, person specification and application instructions