You will be responsible for providing day-to-day administrative support to the Managing Director (MD); represent Afghanaid in coordination meetings; edit and disseminate organisational materials for internal and external audiences; support preparation of Board of Trustee reports and other Executive Team meeting materials; and be the communications focal point in the Kabul office. You will be required to work closely and effectively with all other departments of Afghanaid to achieve unity of purpose, results and optimal use of organisational resources.
- Coordinate the MDs daily diary, screen e-mail, draft correspondence and prepare documents for meetings and professional appointments
- Provide preparatory materials and coordinate the MD’s external representation engagements and fundraising opportunities; draft speeches, visual presentation and workshop materials
- Coordinate internal (quarterly Board and Executive Team reports ) and external (Annual Report) materials and ensure appropriate distribution; edit other organisational strategic and operational documents as required
- Minute Executive Team, ad hoc and other intrenal meetings attended by the MD
- Research and write internal and external briefs and reports to be used in national and international level communications
- Represent Afghanaid in advocacy and influencing forums and meetings
- Acting on behalf of the MD, attend government, UN and civil society co-ordination; represent Afghanaid’s position
- Assist the MD in monitoring performance indicators against strategic and operational plans
- Functioning as the communications focal point in the Kabul office, working in close coordination with the London office to produce high quality communications material for external distribution. This includes taking photos and collecting case studies.
- Perform other relevent duties as assigned and approved by the MD
- Master’s degree in relevant research-based discipline (Development, Anthropology, Policy and Research, International Relations or similar subjects) or an undergraduate degree with relevant experience
- Writing high quality policy and communications documents for public use
- One year of practical experience in a similar role
- Working with high levels of autonomy
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- Voluntary or work experience within international development or charity sector
- Managing relationships with a variety of different stakeholders
- Coordinating research projects
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint)
- Excellent written and spoken English (to Native standard)
- Integrity, honesty, transparency and a firm commitment to professional standards of confidentiality
- Sense of humour, initiative and self motivation, excellent team work and communications skills, ability to work collaboratively with others
- Sensitivity to Islamic culture and respect of Afghan customs and traditions, able to live and work in a diverse environment
- Outstanding organisational skills, able to communicate and collaboratively manage competing priorites
- Drive to achieve results and get the things done
- Ability to deal with difficult, challenging work situations and remain calm under pressure
- Experience living, traveling or working in isolated and conflict locations/countries
- Firsthand understanding of the operating environment of humanitarian and development work in Afghanistan (or a similar context)
- Basic fluency in Dari or Pashtu
Afghanaid’s core values are creativity, fairness and honesty. Our staff is passionate about and proud Afghanaid. Teamwork is fundamental to our standards and demonstrated by taking initiative, assisting others and taking on additional responsibilities and tasks if necessary. We are results driven, committed and motivated to achieve targets and take accountability for our own actions.
Please read the full Job Description attached.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.