Become a Voluntary Social Care Assessor with Age Concern Luton (ACL). Your role will be to conduct a needs and risk assessment for our service users and match them with appropriate services.
Tasks and Duties
- The Voluntary Social Care Assessor will be responsible for visiting clients in their home to conduct a comprehensive assessment of needs.
- You will follow Age Concern Luton procedures to undertake a client risk assessment, determining potential risks involved to clients and/or volunteer/workers visiting the individual (i.e. hazards in the house & support network etc.)
- You will report directly back to the Wellbeing Supervisor if you see any risk/hazards/dangers, so that these can be dealt with immediately.
- You will talk with the client to gain insights about their current situation, identifying high priority clients (e.g. those with mental or physical health issues and those who are socially isolated).
- Following the initial assessment, if the client is an appropriate referral to the Visiting Scheme, you will liaise closely with the Wellbeing Supervisor to find a compatible ‘match’ for the client with an individual from our portfolio of befrienders and facilitate the initial introduction.
- If following the initial assessment, the client is not suited for the Visiting Scheme but suited to any of our other services, you will liaise with the Wellbeing Supervisor or another member of the team to plan the best course of action.
- This is a voluntary position, however, due to the nature of the role please only apply if you are able to commit to 1 visit per week (4 per month). Each visit should last no longer than 1 hour and are flexible so they can be arranged around your avaliability.
- You must always uphold our strict confidentiality policies and make steps to ensure confidentiality is maintained.
- Because you will be working with vulnerable adults, it is mandatory that all successful applicants complete a DBS check and undergo professional boundaries skills and safeguarding training. Ongoing training and guidance will be provided.
Being a voluntary position, the hours are completely flexible so you can work times and dates that suit you. Where applicable, out of pocket expenses will also be reimbursed (e.g. petrol). By joining Age Concern Luton, you will be part of a wonderful community of people and will meet a range of people from office workers, to other volunteers and older adults who work and live in the community. At Age Concern Luton, we value our Volunteers and are committed to making the best experience for you. We listen to your needs and can offer additional training and guidance where needed. We acknowledge how much your contribution helps the quality of life for older adults and host various volunteer-focused events such as the “Volunteer Tea Party” which is hosted by Age Concern Luton once a year as a thank you to all the Volunteers for their hard and valued work.
The position of Voluntary Social Care Assessor is ideal for people looking to start their career as a social worker or in social care, or applicants applying for social care courses or nursing qualifications. This position is also ideally suited for people with, or seeking to develop, assessment skills, junior doctors, aspiring psychologists or people intending on a career in care. We also welcome applications from people who already have a background in care and are looking to donate their time to a charity.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of people and would like further information on this role or any of our other roles, please contact Effie Assan.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.