Age UK East London aims to be an organisation that enables older people to:
- Retain maximum possible choice over the direction of their lives.
- Maintain and improve health.
- Prevent social isolation.
- Live in physical environments suited to their changing needs.
- Have as many opportunities as possible for involvement in fulfilling community and leisure activities.
Older people and their Carers are our partners in everything we do. We aim to keep our work:
Age UK run a programme of services which links people to health, wellbeing, social and information and advice services within the Square Mile and surrounding boroughs of Hackney, Tower Hamlets and Newham. This is a varied role which encompasses 2 specific projects: City Connections and Empower To You.
The core aim of this role is to deliver the following key responsibilities within the City and 3 boroughs in East London, as follows:
City Connections (3 days a week):
The City Connections project supports residents, workers, and carers (inc. young carers) with health and wellbeing within the Square Mile to access relative information, advice, and support.
- Carers group managing, delivering and development
- Young Carers provision, managing, co-production and development
- Other Services, running social groups such as the Memory and Coffee mornings; improving existing and developing new ones.
Empower To You (2 days a week):
The Energy Champion role will be responsible for developing and delivering a high-quality accredited training programme for Tower Hamlets, Newham, and Hackney residents to build their knowledge and skills around reducing energy costs and managing their money effectively.
- To recruit Energy Champions to deliver and develop community solutions to tackle fuel poverty
- To deliver high quality training and one-to-one sessions, at Age UK East London venues and our partner organisations and organisations in The City, Tower Hamlets, Newham, and Hackney
As part of both projects:
- Volunteering promotion, recruitment, training, placement, and supervision for City specific roles and Energy Champions for the Empower To You project.
- Promotion of services, via events, networking, and marketing distribution
The Community Engagement Officer will work closely within the team and provision, to deliver a people focused service.
City Connections Carers Services:
- To work with the City Connections Wellbeing Co-ordinator to directly ensure service users can readily and easily access the appropriate services, using a person-centred approach
- To raise awareness, identification, and engagement with carers through advice stalls and sessions, talks and discussion forums.
- To organise, manage and run the Carers groups, activities/trips, and relay updates to the Community Services Manager for website upload
- To provide Carers with current information, advice and support on local and national services which will support their social, emotional, and physical wellbeing
- To work with other agencies, organisations, and service users in co-producing and developing the City Connections Young Carers Service
- To assess Young Carers and their families to support them to have more appropriate expectation of the responsibilities a child should undertake
- To manage and run the other City Connection activities online/face to face.
- To recruit, allocate training, place, and supervise suitable volunteers for the City Connections and Empower To You projects where needed.
- To generate appropriate volunteering opportunities and role descriptions based on the needs of the two projects.
- To promote volunteering opportunities; these could include supporting with project promotion, peer education activities and working with housing providers at their community events
- To oversee and line manage existing volunteers and their placements
- To support volunteers in their day-to-day work, including administration of expenses, skills development and providing feedback where necessary
- Attending and representing at relative events, conferences, forums, and training sessions
- To actively assist with promotional and marketing distribution
- Attending at relative provider meetings, forums; networking to establish new opportunities
- Identifying new promotional sites and opportunities to enhance promotion of the services and to work with colleagues to capitalise and monitor results
- To recruit residents to attend specific related courses for the Empower To You project
- To build on, and maintain, relationships and partnerships with local stakeholders including local community groups, local authority departments and health providers
Evaluation and monitoring
- Accurate and timely recording of new client data, sessions and reviews held onto Elemental/Charity Log databases and others as required
- Ensure that appropriate accurate records are kept, and evaluation activities completed
- Compiling and completing all necessary data, stats, case studies for quarterly reports from multiple databases
- To represent Age UK East London and participate in appropriate external meetings and events to remain aware of local, regional, and national issues affecting quality and compliance issues affecting charitable companies.
- Maintain client confidentiality in accordance with the organisational Data Protection policy
- To critically review and monitor groups to establish success/areas for improvement/restructure or replacement
- To research, develop and establish new venues/activities