Age UK East London aims to be an organisation that enables older people to:
- Retain maximum possible choice over the direction of their lives;
- Maintain and improve health;
- Prevent social isolation;
- Live in physical environments suited to their changing needs;
- Have as many opportunities as possible for involvement in fulfilling community and leisure activities.
Older people and their carers are our partners in everything we do. We aim to keep our work:
The Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) ensures Age UK East London (AUKEL) has a strong financial management and robust operations needed to deliver its mission, leading on all AUKEL’s organisational budget planning and management, audit, compliance, and infrastructure functions. They are a key member of our Senior Management Team and play a key role in strategic and operational decision making.
The DFO is responsible for developing and monitoring the organisation’s annual budget; undertaking forecasting and reforecasting as needed; ensuring that the organisation remains compliant in terms of both its finances and its operations; overseeing the Business Support team.
The Business Support team is comprised of the Operations and HR Manager, the HR Assistant, the Accountant and the Evaluation Officer.
AUKEL is a respected provider across East London and this role offers great challenge and opportunity to shape the organisation as we implement our plans for growth in the coming years. Please join us and play a key role in building and developing our finance and operations function to enable AUKEL to grow its resources and deliver greater, more sustainable impact.
AUKEL believe that a diverse workforce leads to an organisation that is more open, creative and gets better results. We want our team at Age UK East London to represent communities we serve.
- Strategic responsibility for Finance, GDPR, Premises, HR, Evaluation & IT.
- Develop and deliver effective finance and resource strategies which support AUKEL’s strategic aims, income generation and operational plans.
- Working with our IT provider, develop and deliver effective IT and technology strategies that make us more effective and efficient.
- Work closely with the CEO as a member of the Senior Management Team helping formulate and implement the strategic direction of AUKEL.
- Work closely with the Trustees, Directors, and senior managers to plan, challenge, monitor and take corrective action as required.
- Manage key external relationships and negotiate on behalf of AUKEL.
- Provide company secretarial support to AUKEL and subsidiary companies and liaise with external auditors in producing subsidiary accounts.
- Ensuring the offices and facilities function well and in compliance with the relevant legislation.
- Being a key point of reference on legal, contractual and regulatory issues.
- Being alert to the risks facing AUKEL and they ways they can be mitigated.
- Oversee the finance function, ensuring proper administration of AUKEL’s financial affairs; advising and assisting the CEO and SMT on budget and financial planning strategies; monitoring and revising the budget in line with changing demands and projections and recommending actions in a timely manner to ensure the financial sustainability of AUKEL.
- Ensure the timely and efficient operation and financial accountability of AUKEL and any subsidiaries (currently dormant) through robust accounting and reporting systems and controls.
- Develop and implement robust financial forecasting together with policies and systems to integrate financial reporting with activity and other information in order to ensure the most effective use of all resources.
- Maintain the financial viability of the organisation through regular reporting and supporting or challenging the programmes and income generation plans.
- Advise (and where appropriate lead) on growth opportunities.
- Ensure the cost effective management of other services (e.g. HR, IT, Evaluation, Premises, GDPR, Legal).
- Overall responsibility for ensuring AUKEL complies with its data protection obligations as Siro.
- Provide professional leadership to ensure that the team are highly trained, motivated and resourced t deliver excellent services.
- Lead on production of annual report and accounts.
- Advise the Board and Finance Sub Committee as necessary.
- ICAEW/ACCA/CIMA/CIPFA qualified or equivalent
- Proven success at managing and directing resources at a senior management level
- Possession of financial and business acumen to plan and manage budgets and achieve value for money both internally and through external contracts and opportunities
- Sound and objective judgement and decision making skills coupled with high levels of integrity, impartiality and ethics
- Ability to think strategically, analyse problems, make balanced judgements, influence decision making and translate ideas and policy into delivery
- Ability to operate effectively under pressure
- Ability to build, challenge and maintain strong relationships and partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to build, motivate and inspire effective teams, both holding them to account through rigorous performance management and the delivery of hard outcomes and using interpersonal and influencing skills to build consensus, change perceptions and attitudes and to manage conflict and challenge constructively.
- Effective communication skills with ability to adjust style appropriate to a range of audiences
- Effective delegation skills, to monitor progress regularly and offer timely support where necessary
- Data protection and GDPR knowledge and experience
- Effective Excel skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A genuine commitment to the principles and goals of AUKEL, passionate about older people and keen to make a difference.
- Experience of CRM systems e.g. Charity Log, etc
- Experience of Theories of Change and Evaluation functions
- Experience in the not for profit sector
- A sound practical knowledge of charity accounting and SORP
- Experience managing an outsourced IT function
- Experience managing turnovers of around £2m pa
- Experience of managing finance for over 15 departments