Join our Information & Advice team to help people find solutions to problems and to receive the information and support that they need from Age UK Islington and our network of partner organisations.
The Information service is based at our contact centre and enables adults of all ages to phone or drop in to find ways of resolving problems or to explore opportunities to improve their day to day lives. As an Information & Advice Admin Volunteer, you might be welcoming people arriving, finding out about their visit and directing them accordingly. Booking appointments and sending reminders, responding to information requests and completing research tasks is also part of the role. You’ll have good IT skills to be able to update client notes on our computer system, a natural aptitude for working with people, and will gain valuable experience in a busy office. Additional languages are always helpful in this team.
We are looking for a happy and positive administrator who have initiative and can become a part of the team. You’ll welcome clients arriving in the contact centre for their appointments so a friendly manner is essential.
Office Admin Tasks
There will be basic admin tasks including photocopying, scanning and uploading forms, archiving files and shredding. You’ll restock stationary, leaflets in the reception and distribute the post and help with mail outs.
Handling Information Requests
Handling information requests means using our computer system to find your allocated task, performing the tasks and updating the system accordingly. You’ll contact the client according to their preferred method of contact to give them the information they need.
You’ll book appointments, send letters/reminders, prepare the client for their advice appointment ensuring they know what they might need to bring with them. You’ll use the computer system and be comfortable with the procedures for recording client notes about the support provided.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for volunteers who are:
- Able to welcome visitors with a can do attitude
- Able to read, write and speak English fluently. Additional languages would be a bonus.
- Confident, level headed and able to use initiative
- Able to communicate well with people from all backgrounds
- Able to use computers confidently and to learn how to use our database
- Comfortable researching new information and sharing this with others
- Reliability, punctuality and empathy
- Understanding of, and compliance with Age UK Islington key policies e.g. Safeguarding, Data Protection.
We will ask you to:
- Complete an application form (incl. 2 referees)
- Have a short telephone conversation about what you’d like to achieve through volunteering
- Have an informal interview
- Attend a general induction session
- We’ll organise an Enhanced DBS check.
Ideally we are looking for someone who can make an ongoing commitment. We'll ask around 3-4 hours a week (Mon - Fri, 10am – 4pm, day and time are flexible).
- We will pay all reasonable travel expenses
- If you volunteer for half a day (3.5 hours or more) we will pay subsistence/lunch expenses.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.