Join our Information & Advice team to provide one to one support for clients, either over the phone or via an office visit: helping them to find the best solutions or get the information that they need to overcome difficulties and to explore opportunities e.g. housing, repairs, benefits issues, utilities, help with legal issues, finding training or it might be to help them to understand correspondence that they’ve received.
Volunteers won’t need to provide specialist advice or help with filling in benefits forms: where needed, they’ll direct people to the appropriate agencies that can offer the specific advice that they need and sometimes make an introduction.
Volunteers will write up detailed case notes on our computer system, so excellent IT skills are needed. Volunteers will need to be patient, detail oriented and good at supporting clients in their quest to find the information that they need.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for volunteers who are:
- Confident, level headed and able to use initiative
- Able to communicate well with people from all backgrounds
- Comfortable talking to people on the phone
- Able to use computers confidently and to learn how to use our database
- Comfortable researching new information and sharing this with others
- Reliability, punctuality and empathy
- Understanding of, and compliance with Age UK Islington key policies e.g. Safeguarding, Data Protection.
We will ask you to:
- Complete an application form (incl. 2 referees)
- Have a short telephone conversation about what you’d like to achieve through volunteering
- Have an informal interview
- Attend a general induction session
- We’ll organise an Enhanced DBS check.
Ideally we are looking for someone who can make an ongoing commitment. We'll ask around 3-4 hours a week (Mon - Fri, 10am – 4pm, day and time are flexible).
- We will pay all reasonable travel expenses
- If you volunteer for half a day (3.5 hours or more) we will pay subsistence/lunch expenses.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.