We are recruiting to a new Head of Finance & Resources role to support the leadership and growth of our charity.
The Head of Finance & Resources is responsible for the management of Age UK Merton’s finances and core operational functions. This role is accountable for the finance department; overseeing day to day finance operations; managing financial monitoring and control including preparation of the annual budget, management accounts and forecasts; and preparing for the annual Independent Examination.
This role will also work collaboratively with the Finance Committee, and the Board to deliver sound financial advice and support to contribute towards strategic decision making. In addition, the role will oversee core operational functions, including facility management, supplier contracts and administration.
The postholder works closely with the Chief Executive and Head of Services as a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
The postholder attends and manages the business of the AUK Merton Finance Committee and briefs the members on strategic financial planning, financial performance, treasury management and risk management.
- Line management of the Bookkeeper, providing supervision, quality control and support
- Support and oversee the Accounts Receivable function for At Home services, which provides support for older people in their homes at an hourly rate
- Oversees the Charity’s outsourced payroll provider
- Ensure that an accurate and timely organisational annual budget is prepared for approval by the CEO & Trustees in February each year
- Prepare quarterly management accounts, variance analysis and forecasts for presentation to the Board
- Develop and maintain an accurate cash flow position/forecast and funding pipeline
- Support the CEO and Head of Services with grant funding and contract bids by preparing full cost recovery budgets and providing other financial information
- Support the CEO to analyse financial performance, address threats and capitalise on opportunities across all income streams
- Prepare fund reporting information to support the CEO and Head of Services with monitoring reports for funders
- Ensure that the organisation is fully prepared for its annual independent examination including preparation of year end file, payroll reconciliation and liaising with the Independent Examiner
- Supporting CEO to prepare the Annual Report
- Ensure the Independent Examiner recommendations are considered and implemented
- Ensure statutory reporting is completed for Companies House and Charity Commission
- Ensure appropriate risk management policies and processes are embedded throughout the charity and maintained within the Risk Register
- Work with the CEO and Service Managers to review and support the implementation of required new financial processes
- Ensure that the financial policies and procedures are fit for purpose and up to date.
- Work with service managers to ensure understanding, implementation and compliance with all financial procedures
Facility, Systems & Resources
- To ensure that satisfactory personnel records are kept in relation to sickness, leave, working hours (including flexible work-times and time off in lieu) and staff performance.
- Liaison with our contracted HR advisors.
- To manage supplier relationships and service contracts for utilities, IT, communications, office supplies, printing/copying etc. reviewing expenditure against budget and seeking new suppliers as required
- To manage the Office Administrator, ensuring that day to date operational and administrative functions are conducted efficiently to enable high quality service delivery
- In conjunction with the CEO and Head of Services, develop and update Age UK Merton’s operational policies and procedures in line with review dates and updates to relevant legislation
- To act as Data Protection Officer for Age UK Merton and support the charity to remain compliant with Data Protection legislation
- Through the Office Administrator manage induction and agreements for new room hire customers
Age UK Merton is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. We strongly value diversity, promote equality, and challenge discrimination. We encourage and welcome applications from people of diverse backgrounds and people with lived experience of disability.
Send your CV and a covering letter (2 sides max) outlining your skills and experience in relation to the Job Description and Person Specification.
Please ensure that your covering letter demonstrates how your experience‚ skills and abilities meet the selection criteria set out in the Job Description and Person Specification. Applications submitted without a personal statement will be rejected.
Please inform us of any reasonable adjustments we can make to support you through our recruitment process.
Completed applications should be returned to us by noon Monday 1st November 2021.
First stage interviews will take place week commencing 8th November online.
Second stage interviews will take place week commencing 15th November in person.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.