Job title: Adviser
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Responsible to: Ask Us Anything Manager
Location: Elmwood Centre, 277 London Road, Mitcham CR4 3NT, also likely home working arrangements with frequent travel throughout the London Borough of Merton. A driver with access to own car is essential.
This role is funded by a grant from the City Bridge Trust
The role will provide information and advice, including casework, in a wide field of subjects, including welfare benefits, housing, health, community care, and local services, to older adults (65+) across the London Borough of Merton. Despite the rapidly evolving situation due to Covid-19 we anticipate that the role will deliver support face to face at our centre, in client’s homes, on the phone and by email.
Summary of Duties:
- To respond to enquiries, providing high quality information and advice to older adults across multiple channels including face to face, clinics, home visits and telephone
- To explore the needs of older people holistically, identifying options and follow up actions
- To perform benefit checks using our benefits calculation programme
- To support clients with forms and applications for benefits and other relevant matters such as accessible transport schemes e.g. Blue Badge, Taxicard, Dial-a-Ride
- To act as the client’s representative where required
- To complete case records and follow up actions on our confidential database
- To collect and report monitoring information
- To work with the Ask Us Anything Manager to support and train volunteers
- To liaise with external partner agencies in order to promote, develop and deliver the service
- To deliver outreach work and support events as required
- At least 2 years’ experience of providing information and advice to the general public. Experience of face to face service delivery is desireable
- Experience of researching information from written and digital sources
- Experience of working with statutory (NHS, Local Authority, DWP etc.) & voluntary sector organisations
- Experience of working in a team
- Strong knowledge in at least one of the following: housing, health, community care, money and benefits. Knowledge of local services in Merton is useful but not essential
- Understanding of the challenges faced by older people in accessing advice and information (sensory, cognitive, mobility etc.)
- Willingness to undertake and update knowledge and skills with training
- Strong communication skills with an ability to relate to people at all levels and from a variety of cultural backgrounds and those who may be vulnerable or distressed
- Ability to work competently across organisational boundaries
- Ability to organise your own work to ensure that priorities and deadlines are met
- Strong numeracy skills
- Ability to write clear, concise, and comprehensive case notes and letters
- Excellent IT skills particularly Microsoft word, email, Internet, and management database, such as Charity Log
- Proven ability to function well, and contribute to, teamwork
- An enhanced criminal records bureau check will be required in this post
- An ability to undertake home visits for housebound and older people requiring travel across the borough
- Due to the nature of the role, a driver with own car is essential
You can apply electronically or by post by sending your CV and a covering letter outlining your skills and experience in relation to the Job Description and Person Specification below. Your CV should be no more than two sides.
Please ensure that your covering letter demonstrates how your experience‚ skills and abilities meet the selection criteria set out in the Job Description and Person Specification. Applications submitted without a personal statement will be rejected. Please also ensure you complete the equal opportunities monitoring section at the end of your application form.
Please inform us of any reasonable adjustments we can make to support you through our recruitment process.
Completed applications should be returned to us by 12 noon on Friday 19th June 2020. Applications received after that time will not normally be considered for short listing.
If you have not heard by 5pm on Friday 19th June then you can assume that you have not been shortlisted.
Interviews will take place on Monday 22nd & Tuesday 23rd June. Due to Covid-19 we are reviewing options for the interview arrangements and will inform you of the details upon invitation. If you are successful we will e-mail or phone you as soon as possible after the closing date to let you know what the interview process will entail.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.