This is a new community interest company which is part of the Age UK Notts group.
Men in Sheds is a ground-breaking project which supports older men who want to get together, share and learn new skills in the welcome setting of a workshop. It also supports older men who are isolated or disengaged from their community or are experiencing major changes in life.
Men in Sheds started in 2010 and is specifically aimed at men aged 60+, we currently have sheds in Blidworth, Daybrook and Worksop. All the sheds are open for four days per week, providing 24 sessions per week across all sites.
The Shed Directors at Worksop support a small team of shed volunteers who open-up the shed and oversee the activities. Each shed session has a minimum of two volunteers. Each shed has a member meeting twice a year for all the members of the shed. Each shed will also have a meeting three times a year for the Shed volunteers and the Shed Directors chaired by one of the Shed Directors.
Each shed will have a Shed Management Group which will meet three times a y ear for the Shed Directors, a volunteer representative and a member representative chaired by one of the Shed directors. This group will decide on matters specific to the shed with business being escalated to the CIC Board when appropriate.
Each shed operates 4 days per week providing 8 sessions (morning/afternoon), we expect that between the 2/3 shed directors each session will have a visit at least once every four weeks. We do expect the Shed Directors to have a hands-on approach to support the work of this service.
The Shed Directors and the Shed Volunteers will run a session for potential new members every month.
The Purpose of the Role
To ensure effective governance and oversight of the Age UK Notts Men in Sheds Service across Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
Main duties and tasks
- Ensuring that the organisation complies with its Memorandum & Articles of Association, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Contributing to the board of the company, ensuring that the organisation pursues its stated purpose, as defined in its governing document, by developing, agreeing and implementing a business plan
- Ensuring the effective and efficient administration of the organisation
- Ensuring the financial stability and sustainability of the organisation
- Following proper arrangements for the appointment, supervision and support of Men in Sheds' volunteers
- Keeping informed about wider issues an policies that might affect the organisation's work
- Safeguarding the good name and values of Age UK Nottingham & Nottinghamshire, the parent charity
In addition to the above duties, each Director should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, acting as an ambassador, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, or other issues in which the Director has expertise.
The Directors will receive support to fulfil these duties from specialist staff employed by the charity who can provide guidance and advice in areas such as governance, finance, health & safety, safeguarding, training, PR & Marketing, HR & volunteering, IT, premises, data protection etc.
What are we looking for?
Each Director must have:
- a commitment to the Men in Sheds project
- an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of directorship
- a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as a director
- strategic vision
- good, independent judgement
- an ability to think creatively
- a willingness to speak their mind
- an ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- commitment to attend four Board meetings each year and take part in board decision making which is sometimes undertaken by email
A director must be 16 or over and not be disqualified from being a director (e.g. because of criminal convictions for dishonesty, personal insolvency or being under a disqualification order).
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.