At Age UK we want to be here for every older person, especially those who need us the most. This means particularly older people with health and care needs and disabilities, who are carers, lonely, living on a low income, or who face a combination of these and other challenges. Some groups are also at greater risk of poor outcomes in later life than others, including those from BME communities, LGBT, and women on their own, often widows.
Advocating with and on behalf of older people like these and providing them with platforms to advocate for themselves is crucial to us. And because the needs and interests of older people are so wide-ranging this requires us to influence not only Parliament, Government and the NHS, but sometimes the private sector and regulators too.
We are recruiting for a Senior External Affairs Manager for a 12-month Maternity Cover contract - to help develop and oversee the delivery of Age UK's integrated public affairs and campaigning work. Your overarching aim will be to create sustainable change for older people in line with our strategy and goals, to the benefit especially of those who need us the most.
You will develop and implement effective public affairs and campaigning approaches that really hit home and produce results. To achieve this you will work collaboratively with the External Affairs team, other Age UK colleagues, our network of brilliant local Age UKs, and other charities and organisations that share our campaigning aims. You will also have access to one of Age UK's best campaigning assets: several hundred thousand campaigners, many of them older people, who work with us to influence change. Age UK is consistently ranked in the top ten influencing charities at Westminster, often the top five.
Age UK is committed to being an inclusive organisation and we are working hard to diversify our workforce, so that regardless of who they are older people feel at home with us. We are open to job-share applications and more generally to conversations about flexible working patterns of all kinds, from day one in the job. Above all, we want to select the best candidate for this role. To ensure fairness, all applications will therefore be anonymised until interviews have been confirmed, so that our shortlisting is purely based on what a candidate can bring.
You will have:
* Experience of managing and working in campaigning environments, and a track record of national influencing achievements
* Experience and practical understanding of English and UK politics and government
* Experience of developing and operationalizing public affairs and campaign strategies
* Experience of managing people and budgets
* Excellent influencing skills - communication, presentation and networking
* Excellent collaborative working skills
What we offer in return
* Competitive salary, 26 days annual leave + bank holidays + annual leave purchase scheme.
* Excellent pension scheme, life assurance, health cashback plan and EAP.
* Car Benefit Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme and Season Ticket Loan.
* Techscheme - buy any tech from Apple or Currys, up to £1000, and spread the cost over 12 months, interest free
* Heka Fitness & Wellbeing Benefit.
* You Did It Awards - recognition awards from £100-250.
Age UK is an Equal Opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates, regardless of age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital/civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity. We guarantee an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria. We welcome requests for flexible working.
Age UK is committed to safeguarding adults at risk, and children, from abuse and neglect. We expect everyone who works with us to share this commitment.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert at any time.
Age UK politely requests no contact from recruitment agencies or media sales. We do not accept speculative CVs from recruitment agencies nor accept the fees associated with them.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.