Age UK has offered a free Telephone Friendship Service for many years, supporting older people who may not have someone to talk to regularly. We support thousands of friendships between older people and volunteers who, together, enjoy a weekly phone chat about anything from the weather to what's been going on in both their lives. Many older people tell us the calls are the highlight of their week.
We are now recruiting for a Friendship Co-ordinator to join our team and help give all the older people and volunteers using our Telephone Friendship Service a really positive experience. This role involves onboarding volunteers on to our service - checking their references, completing ID checks and carrying out volunteer interviews- and then matching them with an older person for a regular telephone chat each week. You will also provide ongoing support to both older people and volunteers on our service, managing enquiries by email and phone.
Due to Covid-19 interviews for this role will take place via MS Teams. Due to the current coronavirus restrictions the majority of our colleagues are operating at home, and this role will initially be fully homebased. Once restrictions are lifted, we expect to work flexibly in the future with time spent both working in our office (this role can be based in either Ashburton or Blackpool) and part from home. You will require access to broadband and a suitable space to work at home in order to carry out this role.
This role is 35 hours per week, working within the following times - 8am to 6pm Mon-Fri / 10am-6pm Sat & Sun.
* The ability to able work flexibly as part of a team
* An excellent telephone manner and customer service skills
* A passion for supporting older people and an understanding of the issues impacting older people
* A passion for supporting volunteers and understanding of the needs of volunteers
* Excellent IT skills
* Experience of data entry to a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
* Experience in coordinating activities and ensuring projects and work programmes are delivered on time
* Experience in managing a busy workload
* The ability to prioritise competing deadlines and workloads
* Confidence in dealing with people from different backgrounds and situations, with the ability to maintain effective relationships over the phone
* A commitment to promoting equality and valuing diversity
* Knowledge of safeguarding and data protection issues
* Awareness of mental health issues
What we offer in return
* Competitive salary, 26 days annual leave + bank holidays + annual leave purchase scheme.
* Excellent pension scheme, life assurance, Simply Health cashback plan and EAP.
* Car Benefit Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme and Season Ticket Loan.
* Techscheme - buy any tech from Apple or Currys, up to £1000, and spread the cost over 12 months, interest free
* Discount on Gym Membership and Go Sweat Fitness & Wellbeing Benefit.
* You Did It Awards - recognition awards from £100-250.
Age UK is an Equal Opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates, regardless of age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital/civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity. We guarantee an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria. We welcome requests for flexible working.
Age UK is committed to safeguarding adults at risk, and children, from abuse and neglect. We expect everyone who works with us to share this commitment.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert at any time.
Age UK politely requests no contact from recruitment agencies or media sales. We do not accept speculative CVs from recruitment agencies nor accept the fees associated with them.