How to apply
We are currently recruiting a proven Senior Media Officer to develop and implement PR strategies that build the profile of both Age UK and Age International in the UK.
The core focus of this role is to deliver high quality media coverage for the Charity's international work through its subsidiary, Age International. In addition you will also be responsible for promoting Age UK's services and providing media guidance for local Age UK's as required.
Age International is a charity focussing on the needs and rights of older people, and supports long-term development and short-term emergency relief programmes in over 30 developing countries. Age International is a member of the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) and you will lead Age International's media response as part of this important coalition.
The role will involve developing and delivering media strategies for these core areas, building strong relationships with journalists, editors and broadcasters and playing a key part in the media team.
You will come from a media environment and have a strong track record of delivering high quality coverage. You will also have excellent writing and communications skills and be adept at spotting opportunities for attracting the media's attention.
* Experience of working in a media or PR environment and of working with journalists, particularly international correspondents.
* Experience of working on national consumer PR campaigns and delivering brand-building media coverage.
* Extensive experience of working with the UK media to drive awareness of international development work for an NGO.
* Experience of working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders and working on cross-divisional and cross-organisational initiatives
* Experience of working with case studies and dealing with potentially sensitive stories.
Skills & Knowledge
* Strong knowledge of the media, especially UK media covering international aid issues and promoting fundraising initiatives.
* Ability to contribute creative ideas, digest information and translate into stories.
* Good organisational and planning skills, ability to prioritise workloads, manage competing demands and work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
* Have the ability to think strategically and to develop and implement media strategies to deliver a range of objectives.
Requirement to work out of hours and to be available at weekends and on bank holidays.
Occasional requirement to travel and overnight stays.
For a full list of benefits please click here
Age UK is an Equal Opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates, regardless of age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital/civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity. We guarantee an interview to disabled candidates who meet the essential criteria. We welcome requests for flexible working.
Age UK is committed to safeguarding adults at risk, and children, from abuse and neglect. We expect everyone who works with us to share this commitment.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert at any time.
Age UK politely requests no contact from recruitment agencies or media sales. We do not accept speculative CVs from recruitment agencies nor accept the fees associated with them.