akt is the UK’s national LGBTQ Youth Homelessness charity. We provide safe homes, mentoring, and support to ensure that no young person needs to choose between a safe home and being who they are. Currently 24% of young people facing homelessness in the UK identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender, and 77% cite abuse and rejection by their families after coming out as the primary reason for seeking help. The charity was founded in 1989 and operates service centres in London, Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol and works online through a digital service providing support and opportunities for e-mentoring across the UK. In 2012, akt opened the UK’s first emergency safe house for young LGBT people in the UK. akt works with over 2,000 vulnerable young people a year providing both face to face and online assistance.
This role sits within akt’s London Service Centre as part of the fundraising team and will be directly supervised by the Director of Fundraising. The akt fundraising team comprises of: The Director of Fundraising (London), Manager of Engagement (London), Community Giving Coordinator (London), Supporter Care Officer (London), Trust and Foundation Officer (Newcastle; part-time) and Community Giving Officer (Manchester; part-time).
The Fundraising Coordinator plays a key role in maintaining and enhancing relationships and growing income from corporate and individual donors (entry and mid-level) and corporate LGBT Networks.
Main duties and responsibilities
- With the Director of Fundraising, develop stewardship, cultivation and recognition plans for individual and corporate (entry to mid-level).
- Plan and undertake face to face cultivation and solicitation visits with mid-level prospects of all types, with a view to establishing ownership of a growing number of prospects and donors.
- Strengthen and develop relationships with existing and new corporate LGBT networks to grow this income stream and facilitate volunteer opportunities.
- With the Supporter Care officer, be responsible for the administration of gifts including managing gift renewals, recording new gifts and records on the database (ThankQ), generating thank-you letters and dealing with administration of Standing Orders, Direct Debit payments, etc.
- Dealing with enquiries from donors, supporters and volunteers, etc. in a welcoming, friendly and helpful manner, and ensuring that their requests are acted upon speedily and efficiently.
- Attending events as required.
- Performing other duties, as required, to fulfil department’s responsibilities and help other members of the wider team at busy times.