Accountable to: Director of Operations & Business Development
Accountable for: Volunteers
Location: Manchester, with some travel to Newcastle and London
akt is the national LGBTQ+ youth homelessness charity; focused on prevention and early action we provide safe homes, mentoring, training, advocacy and support to young people who are homeless or living in a hostile environment after coming out to their parents, care givers and peers.
With akt’s brand new 2,000 sq ft YouthSpace due to open in Manchester city centre in March 2020 and major investments planned to help transform akt into a truly national LGBTQ+ youth charity, this is an exciting time to be joining us.
We have just completed a 12 month pilot of our Youth Engagement Programme and following an in-depth review and consultation with young people we have decided to grow and expand the programme nationally. This role will work within our Youth Engagement Team and alongside our Services team to deliver our programme of youth work for LGBTQ+ young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness across the North West.
- Develop and deliver the Youth Engagement Programme of activity and events (e.g. youth groups, workshops, small scale events) as directed by the Director of Operations.
- Community Development; building relationships with schools, youth services and other formal and informal youth settings
- Increase and maintain footfall of young people into our Youth Engagement Programme and akt core housing and homelessness services
- Work with young people to develop and create an ever-growing collection of online resources and videos to provide advice, support and reassurance to young LGBTQ+ people, on issues and topics that matter to them most.
- Support the development and delivery of our annual youth events programme.
- Create a weekly programme of events, training, drop-ins and socials to reach and engage with LGBTQ+ young people experiencing homelessness.
- A professional youth work qualification, or experience of working with young people
- Experience of working or managing in a youth work setting
- A proven ability to lead, motivate and support young people on projects
- Charismatic, friendly but disciplined in approach to engagement activities
- An in-depth understanding of the issues facing LGBTQ+ young people
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Ability to work independently, supervise and motivate participants
- Event management experience
- Experience of networking and building local partnerships with community organisations and youth services
- A clean driving license