akt is the UK’s national LGBTQ Youth Homelessness charity. We provide safe homes, mentoring, and support to ensure that no young person needs to choose between a safe home and being who they are. Currently 24% of young people facing homelessness in the UK identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender, and 77% cite abuse and rejection by their families after coming out as the primary reason for seeking help. The charity was founded in 1989 and operates service centres in London, Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol and works online through a digital service providing support and opportunities for e-mentoring across the UK. In 2012, akt opened the UK’s first emergency safe house for young LGBT people in the UK. akt works with over 2,000 vulnerable young people a year providing both face to face and online assistance.
- To work in partnership with the Director and Assistant Director to develop the services plan and manage the successful delivery and development of Manchester Services.
- With Director and Assistant Director of Services, develop akt’s Housing offer in Manchester
- Establish and run a Greater Manchester-based Housing Offer, ensuring it is Health and safety compliant and a safe and welcoming space for young LGBTQ+ people.
- Identify and develop strategic partnerships and opportunities that support us to safely meet young LGBTQ+ people’s immediate housing needs and move on to longer term accommodation in Greater Manchester.
- Manage and provide supervision for; staff, students and volunteers who provide case work and advocacy to homeless LGBTQ+ young people.