- Head of Finance working for Aldridge Education
- Ideal for someone looking for a broad technical finance role
About Our Client
Aldridge Education is a charitable trust whose entrepreneurial community schools help young people to reach their potential. We support our Principals and teachers in rapidly improving the quality of education on offer at early years, primary, secondary and sixth-form levels in order to transform the life-chances of our students.
Aldridge Education was established as a national multi-academy trust by the Aldridge Foundation in 2016, taking over responsibility from the Foundation for its family of non-selective academy schools and colleges, some of which are part of the multi academy trust whilst others are currently independent Trusts sponsored by Aldridge Education. Sir Rod Aldridge launched the Aldridge Foundation in 2006 after retiring from Capita Plc, the business he set up and which became one of this country's most successful companies.
Our shared belief is that by introducing young people to, and helping develop in them, the core attributes of entrepreneurship, we can provide context and relevance to their learning, foster creativity, passion, determination, risk taking, problem solving and teamwork.
The Head of Finance, based in London, will support the COO in ensuring the organisation is provided with accurate financial information that will enable effective decision-making, as well as fulfilling the trusts financial statutory responsibilities. The role will also include the following responsibilities:
- To lead on the year end process and the preparation of the trust's annual accounts (including its trading subsidiary) and other statutory returns in line with the Charities SORP.
- Fully responsible for the maintenance of the integrity of the trusts finance systems undertaking the role of System Administrator to ensure strong systems of controls are in place.
- Document, implement and embed strong financial controls across the trust.
- To lead on the trusts monthly close-down process, working closely with the Regional Finance Directors to ensure school balance sheets are reconciled and up-to-date.
- Within the framework established by the COO, to consolidate the Trusts annual and three-year budgets.
- To prepare all financial returns for the Trust including pension returns, VAT returns and Budget Forecast Return to the ESFA.
- Manage the cash flow position for the Trust.
- Line management of finance team members as appropriate.
To deputise for the finance function in the absence of the COO.
The Successful Applicant
You will be a fully qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent) with strong all-round finance capabilities that can be evidenced through experience. You will be able to communicate effectively with finance and non-finance colleagues at all levels, with experience of supporting key decision-making. The following experience is required:
- Knowledge of Charities SORP and Academy funding and financial reporting requirements.
- Understanding of taxation and other regulations, including VAT, pensions and payroll requirements.
- Past experience working on improving computerised finance systems and financial controls.
- Experience of developing and presenting consolidated management accounts.
- Strong organisational and planning skills and ability to work to tight deadlines
- Previous experience working within the academy or education sector.
- Experience using PS financials or a similar financial system.
What's on Offer
Circa £60,000, excellent benefits, flexible working and options to work at home/remotely
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPCY14094974Z