I CAN is the leading children’s communication charity and our vision is a world where all children have the communication skills they need to fulfil their potential. Serving children and families for 130 years, I CAN today consists of two Ofsted ‘Outstanding’ special schools, Meath School (Surrey) and Dawn House School (Nottinghamshire); a social enterprise that develops and distributes a wide range of materials, training packages and interventions across the nation; the I CAN Help portfolio of information and advice for parents, carers and practitioners; and the hosting for The Communication Trust, a consortium of over 50 organisations in the field of communications. I CAN’s mission is that no child should be left out or left behind because of a difficulty speaking or understanding.
We are looking for a new Head of Finance to join a small, yet busy, Finance team in our central London office, based in Islington. You will be the most senior finance practitioner in the organisation, be part of the Charity Finance Directors Group and will be part of a key, highly regarded finance function.
This is an exciting time to join our organisation. We are seeking an experienced senior finance professional, who is a qualified accountant, to support the effective delivery of our strategy and plan, whilst ensuring robust financial planning and management.
A lot has happened in the last twelve months. We have taken significant costs out of the organisation, implemented a new income generation strategy, embarked on an ambitious school management programme and undertaken significant research into children’s communication issues. We succeeded in out-performing our income target by £1m and raised £8m, after several more challenging years, so there is much to build upon as we embark on developing our new three year plan.
The ideal candidate will be confident in ensuring that all our financial planning is robust, financial goals are achieved, our financial audits are carried out on time, our key performance indicators measure the right activities and that we achieve value for money from our procurement and purchasing activities.
The successful applicant will be able to actively demonstrate:
- CCAB or CIMA qualifications with evidence of continuous professional development.
- Excellent financial planning skills.
- Senior financial management experience including management accounts, audit management and statutory accounts preparation.
- Robust communication skills and a track record of building collaborative and trusting relationships with staff and suppliers.
- Good business analysis skills with the ability to communicate financial and business issues to non-financial audiences.
- Trouble-shooting skills with the ability to ably identify key themes and issues with a solutions mindset.
- An understanding of the charity and/or schools sector would be advantageous.
- Sunday 19th January Application deadline
- w/c 27th January Shortlisting
- w/c 3rd February Stage 1 interviews
- w/c 10th February 2nd stage interviews
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your CV and supporting statement via th link or contact Bryony Feeney via the Allen Lane agency website for an informal conversation.