Location - preferred location London or Bangkok (any other location in Asia needs to be discussed and approved). Salary grade and benefits will vary depending on country.
The successful candidate will be responsible for directing an integrated, cross-functional team to implement high-quality, strategic research, campaigning and communication strategies that deliver impact in relation to serious human rights concerns associated with China, including the human rights implications of China's foreign policy and overseas influence. This means being responsible for managing and expanding the portfolio of China-related work across the International Secretariat and the Amnesty International Movement, whilst representing Amnesty International at the highest levels. As part of achieving this, you will be responsible for providing high-level and strategic advise to the Regional Director of the region on major human rights trends, developments and key drivers of human rights abuses related to China, as well as China's foreign policy and overseas movements. As a member of the Amnesty International Management Team you will contribute to the management of the International Secretariat and deputise for the Regional Director in their absence or as so nominated.
- Leadership and Strategic Oversight
- Staff Wellbeing and Management
- Quality Assurance and Reporting
- Finance and Risk Management
Please refer to the attached JD for additional information
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Do you have demonstrated knowledge and direct experience of the human rights and political context in China and an expert understanding of the international human rights legal framework as well as relevant regional and national legal frameworks?
- In-depth experience of human rights research for advocacy purposes: conducting research using a range of appropriate methodologies, analyzing and presenting findings, identifying advocacy targets and applying research-based analysis to campaigning for human rights change;
- Knowledge and experience in carrying out or directing research on China's activities and investments abroad.
- Knowledge and experience of field security issues and the ability to manage them appropriately, ideally gained through work in conflict or other high-risk situations;
- Ability to represent AI in difficult and high-profile environments;
- Do you have the ability to steer innovative and creative approaches to campaigning, including use of a range of digital channels to achieve campaign objectives;?
- Ability to develop strategies and plans and review them and adapt them as required, exercising and promoting creative thinking.
- Experience of working in a key leadership role in a complex organization ideally based outside the organization's global "head" office and preferably with experience of maintaining a successful operation during times of organizational change
- Experience of successfully integrating and coaching a cross-functional and multi-cultural team toward a new way of working
- Do you have substantial experience of working in the region?
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they're denied. And whether we're applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we're all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
For further information on our benefits, please visit
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click 'Apply for this Role' below.
Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let's get to work.
N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.