Location - this role can either be based in Tunis or Beirut. The duration of the contract will depend on the location of the postholder, please note we are unable to support with relocation for Beirut.
Salary grade and benefits will vary country dependent
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is an exciting opportunity to join the MENA Regional Office with dynamic teams based in offices in Beirut, Tunis, Ramallah and London working together for human rights change. Given the gravity of human rights violations across the region in authoritarian or crisis-driven contexts, the Regional Office invests heavily in producing cutting-edge research, developing hard-hitting calls for both our advocacy work and for our sustained campaigning. We grow the community of human rights activists or supporters across the region through our human rights education work. Strategic communications is an essential service that cuts across all these functions.
As part of the MENA Comms team, you will work closely with a Media Manager, a Digital Communications Manager and an Arabic Languages coordinator to provide strategic communications for the dissemination of Amnesty MENA's research findings and advocacy calls for change.
Operating in a region where there is high demand for human rights news, you will assist the Media Manager's in drafting rapid media outputs in response to developments or to share new research findings. You will assist the Regional Content Manager in crafting smart messaging to engage with our audiences on our Arabic social media channels (1.5m followers on Twitter and close to 1m on Facebook).
- Draft in Arabic and English short press releases or quotes based on information from country experts.
- Working under the supervision of the MENA Media Manager, implement a regional media relations programme which includes: pro-active media liaison; pitching Amnesty International stories and spokespeople; organizing interviews; providing media briefings and responding to media requests
- Assist the RCM and Media Managers, to ensure that Amnesty International MENA actions, outputs and stories are disseminated on MENA social media channels in English and Arabic in line with the Global Social Media Strategy.
- Monitor social media trends and identify opportunities for Amnesty International MENA to engage in online conversations and insert a rights perspective.
- Identify opportunities for media work and advise on what products or activities would work best to meet media objectives and achieve impact, ensuring all work is timely, with a strong news value targeted at defined audiences
- Under the guidance of the RCM produce social media monitoring reports on specific projects to analyze impact in line with communications plans linked to country team projects, overall MENA comms brand values and related Monitoring and Evaluation Frameworks. Ensure we are consistently measuring and improving upon content performance across social media channels.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Substantial, relevant experience in similar role in journalism or public relations, in an international environment, and an understanding of international political and human rights issues and specifically how these issues apply in Beirut
- Experience in producing a wide range of quality materials for print and/or broadcast media, as well as for social media platforms
- Fluent oral and written English with the ability to draft media outputs in English. French or Persian highly desirable.
- Excellent modern standard Arabic writing skills essential, knowledge of at least two different Arabic dialects desirable
- Ability to craft social media messages in Arabic to convey complex information in a straightforward, interesting and motivating manner.
- Strong knowledge of international, regional and national media - across traditional and digital platforms - with established contacts at key publications and broadcast outlets
Please see the attached job description for more information on responsibilities and skills and experience required.
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they're denied. And whether we're applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we're all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click 'Apply for this Role' below.
N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.