Head of Fundraising (Maternity Cover)
The Head of Fundraising is a key post within Amref Health Africa UK, responsible for a significant portion of the organisation’s income generation, as well as a member of the Senior Management Team. The Fundraising team looks after several income streams, including individual giving, legacies, community & events, major giving, and trusts and foundations. The team is jointly responsible for corporate partnerships, working together with the Programmes team, who are also responsible for institutional fundraising.
Head of Fundraising Responsibilities:
• As part of a small Senior Management Team, support the CEO in implementing the strategy, ensuring the smooth and effective running of the organisation
• Champion fundraising within the organisation, taking an innovative, responsive and proactive approach to identifying and pursuing opportunities for income generation
• Provide input for, and contribute to, the Amref UK Board meetings
• Meet fundraising income targets by asking for and securing major gifts from high net worth individuals, trusts and companies
• Coordinate consolidation and growth of all fundraising streams for Amref UK, supporting team members to meet their income and expenditure targets
• Establish and lead a new Major Gifts programme
• Build personal relationships, manage and steward a dynamic portfolio of Amref UK's most promising high-value potential donors (individuals, trusts and companies)
• Support the Fundraising team to develop and manage relationships as well as produce quality proposals, reports, budgets and work plans – and provide sign-off for same
• Work with the Communications team to implement a strategic donor communication plan to enhance and build partnerships
• Update the reporting schedule and track fundraising streams through an effective system
• Develop and foster strong productive relationships with colleagues across the Amref family in Europe, North America and Africa to facilitate fundraising efforts in the UK and across the organisation
• Take the lead on identifying new fundraising networks and opportunities for Amref UK, by working with existing supporters, colleagues and the Board
• Keep abreast of current issues and good practice in domestic and international fundraising practices and ensure all fundraising activities are conducted in line with organisational policies and UK fundraising regulations
Head of Fundraising Requirements:
• Relevant senior-level experience of successful fundraising with an emphasis on high-value giving
• Significant experience of stewarding and growing high-value partnerships and supporters
• Relevant experience of strategic planning, target setting and high quality delivery in a team environment
• Demonstrable success in new business generation, securing six-figure (and above) gifts and partnerships
• Experience of leading and developing a team to achieve targets and maximise their personal potential
• Experience of using Raiser’s Edge or another customer relationship management database
• Budget management
• Experience of working or volunteering within the international development sector
• Strong communication and negotiation skills including the development of donor and partner agreements and project proposals
• Strong IT skills, particularly in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with colleagues both in the UK and internationally
Please note: all applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Amref Health Africa UK is not able to support visa or work applications for this role.
We encourage and welcome applications from candidates with BAME backgrounds.
About Amref Health Africa - UK:
Amref Health Africa is Africa’s leading health charity. We work with women and girls to secure the right to health and break the cycle of poverty. Headquartered in Nairobi, we are truly an African organisation, partnering with communities across the continent to create lasting change.
Location: 15-18 White Lion Street, London N1 9PD
Job type: Full Time, 10-12 month contract (maternity cover), full-time but 4 days a week will be considered
Salary: £55,000 per annum
Benefits: High levels of engagement and involvement, Generous pension scheme, Holiday allowance (pa: 25 days, bank holidays and 3 additional days at Christmas), Season ticket loan, Cycle-to-work scheme.
All applications to be submitted by: 18 August 2020
You may have experience of the following: Fundraising Manager, Senior Fundraising Executive, Senior Fundraising Officer, Head of Fundraising, Charity, Fundraising Director, Business Development Executive, Business Development Manager, Sales Manager, Sales Executive, Third Sector, NFP, etc.