Programme Finance Officer
The purpose of the role is to support the Programmes team in delivering proactive, efficient and effective financial management of Amref UK’s programmes. The Programmes Finance Officer will ensure that financial systems and procedures are working efficiently and effectively, and that they are being adhered to.
Programme Finance Officer Responsibilities:
- Support in preparing the budgets for new programme initiatives and projects, budget amendments or realignments when required and annual budget reviews, including cost recovery calculations.
- Lead / assist the country office and partner finance teams in preparation of project related budgets and reworking of budgets in keeping with changes in programme plans.
- Adopt a questioning mindset and challenge underlying budget assumptions as appropriate.
- Undertake the financial assessment of potential local partners and reassessments of existing partners.
- Prepare financial related materials for project kick-off meetings.
- Track project budgets and monitor expenditure, updating reforecasts as appropriate.
- Train staff on tools, templates and donor regulations.
Programme Finance Officer Requirements:
- Part qualified / Qualified ACA / ACCA / CIMA.
- Experience of financial reporting on grants from institutional donors (DFID, Comic Relief etc.).
- Experience in multi-donor funded projects.
- Familiarity with the compliance requirements of major donors.
- Experience of working with accounting software; good IT skills including advanced Excel.
- Analytical and planning skills as well as being adaptable and flexible.
About Amref Health Africa - UK:
Amref Health Africa is Africa’s leading health charity. We work with women and girls to secure the right to health and break the cycle of poverty. Headquartered in Nairobi, we are a truly African organisation, partnering with communities across the continent to create lasting change.
Amref has offices in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Malawi, Senegal, South Sudan and South Africa, along with a regional hub for southern Africa. Amref Health Africa UK is one of ten offices in Europe and North America. Our team of 18 is composed of Programmes, Fundraising and Communications, and Finance and Administration functions. We manage a portfolio of innovative health programmes funded by a range of donors including institutions, corporates, trusts and foundations, and individual supporters.
Our programmes address four crucial and complementary themes: Maternal, New-born and Child Health; Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights; Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH); and Health Worker Training. As the world strives to meet the Sustainable Development Goal of Universal Health Coverage by 2030, Amref is committed to removing the barriers that impede access to healthcare - ensuring that no-one is left behind.
Location: The Angel, London N1 9PD
Job type: Full Time, Permanent, Flexible working, with core hours of 10am to 4pm
Salary: £35,000 to £38,000 per annum, 4- 5 days per week considered
Benefits: an attractive and competitive salary, high levels of engagement and involvement, flexible working, with core hours of 10am - 4pm, potential for travel to our projects in Africa and other Amref offices in Europe as appropriate, generous pension scheme, holiday allowance (pa: 25 days bank holidays + 3 additional days at Christmas), season ticket loans, cycle-to-work scheme.
You may have experience of the following: Finance Officer, Accounts Assistant, Finance Assistant, Accounts Administrator, Financial Administrator, Bookkeeper, Book Keeper, Accounting Assistant, Payroll Administrator, Sage, AAT, Accounting, Charity, Major Donor Funds, Not for Profit etc.
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Amref Health Africa UK is not able to support visa or work permit applications for this role. Amref Health Africa welcomes all applicants and values diversity. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer.