Trust and Foundations Manager
About the role
At Animals Asia, donors are an integral part of the organisation. We know they are every bit as passionate about our goals as we are and, without them, our work would not be possible.
The Foundations team sits within the Global Partnerships team, made up of Foundations, Philanthropy, and Corporate partnerships. Our aim is to find and build relationships with new partners who can make a significant difference to Animals Asia, while also managing relationships with existing partners. Working closely with the Trust or Foundation to align motivations and help them see how their money is being spent and reporting back on the impact of their donation. There is significant scope for growth with the Global Partnerships Team as Animals Asia enjoys increasing brand awareness.
The main purpose of this role is to support the work of Animals Asia by developing strong relationships, cultivating and stewarding a portfolio of charitable trusts, foundations and grant giving bodies in order to meet and exceed agreed income targets. Your portfolio will be global, consisting of donors from around the world, therefore knowledge of international fundraising from foundations is an advantage.
You will build and maintain existing relationships, providing exceptional donor experience, while focusing on new business research and growing your portfolio of 5 and 6 figure donors.
- To deliver the Foundation strategy.
- To research and acquire new trust and foundation partners.
- To build relationships - engaging, cultivating, and stewarding a portfolio of existing and new trust and foundation partners, providing effective and timely relationship management, including comprehensive grant reporting.
- To meet and exceed agreed income targets so that we can meet our growing program needs.
Relationship Management and Donor Stewardship
- Build trusting relationships and implement the highest standards of donor stewardship to manage a portfolio of qualified prospective and existing partners.
- Cultivating and soliciting a portfolio of high-value prospective trusts and foundations capable of making 5 and 6 figure donations.
- Work closely with colleagues in the Global Partnership team to find engaging, exciting funding propositions including solutions to generate unrestricted income and multi-year gifts.
- Find innovative and ‘surprise and delight’ opportunities to engage supporters.
- Create engaging and meaningful communications to keep donors well informed on the progress and impact of projects.
- Implement personalised relationship building and stewardship plans that include regular phone calls, and in-person and virtual meetings.
- Ensure donors and internal stakeholders fully understand and agree with any commitments.
- Ensure CRM is updated with all donor interactions and communications.
- Ensure proper follow-up on all funding applications, whether successful or not, to fully understand donors and prospects motivations.
Prospecting and Research
- Significantly grow your portfolio by identifying, researching, and qualifying new 5-figure + prospects:
- Carry out prospect research.
- Qualify new potential prospects.
- Develop and lead on detailed cultivation and solicitation plans for high value prospects to achieve targets, and update plans on CRM.
- Identify appropriate funding opportunities that align with donor motivations.
- Create the appropriate stewardship plan for donors in your portfolio based on their motivations and needs, proactively developing relationships with them.
- Carry out due diligence to ensure partners meet our ethical guidelines.
- Develop stewardship plans for current, lapsed, and prospective donors in your Portfolio.
- Maintain cultivation and stewardship plans on the CRM and a calendar of approaches, for both existing and qualified prospects.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the Trusts and Foundations team to capture project information and prepare high-quality proposals.
- Be proactive in ensuring you develop an excellent knowledge of Animals Asia’s work, liaising with colleagues as required, to prepare and present first class presentations and proposals.
- Represent Animals Asia at networking events, knowledgeably and passionately articulating our need for support.
Fundraising strategy and planning
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the trust and foundations team to build the team’s strategic growth and provide the best possible partnership opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with the wider Global Partnerships team to maximise networks and uplift income.
- Deliver against agreed income targets.
- Acquire, retain and grow the value of partners for Animal Asia.
Reporting and Budgets
- Work to ensure that income opportunities for your portfolio are maximised. Ensuring that donations from donors in your portfolio match the giving capacity of the partner.
- Track income on the appropriate pipelines and CRM, ensuring that reporting is Accurate.
- Ensure that proposals include 20% operational support, unless clearly stipulated otherwise by the donor.
- Ensure effective work plans are in place to deliver the projected income and achieve all financial and non-financial KPIs.
- Prepare regular reports and evaluations for your line manager as required.
Program knowledge and team development
- Be proactive in ensuring you develop an excellent knowledge of Animals Asia’s work, liaising with colleagues as required.
- Work collaboratively with the Trust and Foundations team to develop high quality application and reporting materials for all partners.
- Build strong working relationships with colleagues from across the organisation to gather information for updates, reports, and proposals.
- Support the Animals Asia’s ‘one-team’ philosophy, making sure the greater global needs are put ahead of any team or market goals.
- Contribute to the on-going review, development, and implementation of changes to improve the productivity and efficiency of Animals Asia.
- Identify best practice fundraising models and make recommendations and implement as part of continuous improvement.
- Participate in staff training and performance and development appraisal process to assist in the achievement of Animals Asia’s objectives and mission.
- Promote and advocate Animals Asia to the public.
- Follow established Animals Asia procedures and policies.
- Proactive attendance at team meetings, relevant seminars, and staff meetings.
- Proactive in keeping abreast of new fundraising initiatives and trends in the sector.
- Represent Animals Asia at internal and external functions and events as required.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of best practice in the charity sectors that Animals Asia operates to establish Animals Asia as a leader in Trust fundraising globally.
The above job description is intended to be an outline of the duties and responsibilities for this role. This is not an exhaustive list, and it is likely to change over time. You may be expected to undertake other duties that are commensurate with this role and grade.
Person Specification - Essential (E) & Desirable (D)
Experience & Knowledge
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with experience communicating to a broad range of people. (E)
- At least 5 years fundraising and relationship management experience, including the ability to initiate and develop strong, mutual, results focused, relationships to maximise revenue. (E)
- Proven experience of soliciting 5 figure + grants. (E)
- Demonstrable experience in developing and leading new business generation. (E)
- Proven experience of working constructively and collaboratively with colleagues from different teams. (E)
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritising workload. (E)
- Understanding of confidentiality privacy regulations. (E)
- Compassion for animals and an understanding of animal welfare issues and conservation. (E)
- The ability to develop strategic plans and to analyse performance. (D)
- Demonstrable experience of investigating and establishing new networks. (D)
- Able to work effectively and on your own initiative in a small diverse and busy cross-functional team environment with minimal supervision. (E)
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, including ability to manage workflows and balance competing priorities. (E)
- Encourages continuous improvement, learning from mistakes and failures. (E)
- Can write professionally and persuasively using a variety of communication styles. (E)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to network and build relationships assessing reactions to own approach and adapting language and style to achieve a positive conclusion. (E)
- Competent in the use of MS word, Excel, and ability to use databases for recording and reporting. (E)
- Financially aware and numerate. (E)
- Solution focused with a creative approach to issues and a ‘can do’ attitude. (E)
- Focuses resources on delivering results in line with Animals Asia’s Mission & values. (E)
- Thoughtful, kind, and considerate. (E)
- Manages own stress levels well and remains resilient, seeking support as appropriate. (E)
- Be prepared for some international travel on occasion. (E)
- Able to work occasional extended hours as required. (D)
- Able to accommodate global meetings early morning / late evening. (E)
- Able to work from home. (E)
Conditions and Benefits
Place of work : Work from home.
Dept/Team : Global Partnerships.
Working hours : Full time – standard hours are 37.5 hours per week. Flexible working to accommodate working for a global organisation and individual circumstances.
You may also be required to work additional hours by way of overtime either as and when requested to do so by Animals Asia or when the proper performance of your work so requires.
Reports to : Global Director of Partnerships.
Manages : N/A.
Budget responsibility : Yes.
Probation : The appointment will be subject to the satisfactory completion of a three-month probationary period.
Annual leave : If based in UK : 24 days per year and 8 bank holidays. The holiday year runs from 1 January to 31 December.
Other benefits : Flexible working, Pension Scheme, Access to Life Works, health and wellbeing platform, Training, as required.
How to apply
Your supporting statement is critical and should not exceed two pages. Please demonstrate how you meet the above criteria and our values.
Interested parties please click "Apply via website" to apply by attaching your cover letter and CV.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Personal data collected will be treated in strict confidence and used solely for recruitment purposes.
Animals Asia values candidates with different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We welcome applicants of every ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, socioeconomic status, disability, or veteran status. We are committed to building an organization that creates an inclusive environment for all.
Closing Date : Friday 8 December 2023
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.