Job Title: Direct Marketing Manager, Regular Giving
Department: Global Individual Giving team
Salary: Competitive salary package
Location: Hong Kong or Home based (UK / Australia / US)
Job Type: Full Time Permanent
Founded in 1998 by Jill Robinson, from her home in Hong Kong, Animals Asia promotes compassion and respect for all animals and works to bring about long-term change. We work to end the barbaric bear bile trade, which sees over 10,000 bears kept on bile farms in China, and, according to official figures, almost 1,000 suffering the same fate in Vietnam.
Animals Asia has to date, rescued over 600 bears, caring for them at our award-winning bear sanctuaries in China and Vietnam.
Animals Asia also works to end the trade in dogs and cats for food in China and Vietnam, and lobbies to improve the welfare of companion animals, promote humane population management and prevent the cross-border export of "meat dogs" in Asia.
In addition, Animals Asia campaigns for an end to abusive animal practices in zoos and safari parks in Asia and works closely with governing authorities to improve animal management and increase awareness of the welfare needs of captive animals.
The Animals Asia Foundation is at a critical juncture in its development and has the opportunity to achieve one of its core goals within the next 5 years which is to end bear bile farming in Vietnam forever.
Animals Asia currently raises $12m (USD) through its global fundraising and communications program. With a goal of ending bear bile farming in Vietnam within the next 5 years on the horizon, there will be new investment in individual giving fundraising and a major brand awareness and fundraising marketing campaign from 2019 onwards.
Animals Asia currently operates a broad range of fundraising programs including regular giving, single gifts and major gifts, bequest and other community and corporate facing programs. The Individual Giving program contributes over 25% of the total gross income and works closely with the country offices, communications and program teams to achieve a range of organisational objectives.
The successful candidate will be joining a global Individual Giving team and will be responsible for implementing and delivering a global fundraising program to raise regular giving income across multiple markets and increase the number of regular giving donors.
The Direct Marketing Manager, Regular Giving is responsible for effectively managing and growing the regular giving income and donor portfolio. They coordinate and communicate the regular giving program needs throughout the organisation and deliver a global acquisition, retention and upgrade program. As part of the Individual Giving leadership, the Direct Marketing Manager, Regular Giving is also responsible for the outcomes of the whole Individual Giving team.
- Work with the Head of Individual Giving to develop the overarching strategy for the Regular Giving program
- Deliver the agreed strategy
- Produce annual Budgets for the regular giving program
- Maintain the regular giving budget
- Develop annual and quarterly targets for the Regular Giving team
- Deliver Monthly and Quarterly reports as agreed with HOIG
- Work with Research and Insights Manager and Data team to analyse program and document key learnings in regular reports
- Develop the Sponsor a Bear and Oliver’s Army (monthly giving) product strategies
- Collaborate with the Head of Individual Giving and Digital Fundraising Executive to develop and improve online fundraising
- Work with Head of Individual Giving, Research and Insights Manager and Direct Marketing Manager, Cash, to innovate and utilise opportunities for growth for the Individual Giving program
- Work closely with the Traffic and Production Manager to oversee the production process, including creative, copy and data, for mail, telemarketing, digital and other direct marketing campaigns
- Work with the Regular Giving Coordinator to ensure all regular giving acquisition, declines management, upgrade and reactivation activities are delivered to achieve targets
- Drive the development of tailored supporter journeys for new regular givers and oversee the data team and Regular Giving Coordinator to deliver these journeys
- Regularly review procedures to identify areas for increased efficiencies of cost and time within the program
- Assist the Head of Individual Giving in the development of business cases including analysis, projections, costs/benefits, and recommendations
Data and Administration:
- Work with Data Team and Supporter Engagement teams to ensure an exceptional level of service and tailored supporter experiences are provided to supporters
- Use the supporter database competently and develop robust administrative processes to support donor activities and help to maintain the integrity of the database
- Develop and implement procedures around data management and selection criteria to deliver the global individual giving program and support the country offices
- Together with the Direct Marketing Manager, Cash, develop collection processes across the organisation to collect accurate and useful data
- Develop budgets for the direct marketing program and achieve annual revenue, net and ROI targets
- Develop non-financial performance indicators
- Manage the Regular Giving Coordinator – setting priorities and strategies to deliver on plans
- Hold Regular Giving Coordinator accountable for delivery of agreed outcomes
- Build strong relationships across Animals Asia
- Work with Program staff, Communications team and country offices to source engaging content use for program
- Contribute to a positive work place and a team culture
- Participate in strategic planning across all global fundraising activities
- Participate in developing and improving highly effective communication and fundraising strategies across the Fundraising and Communications team
- Proactive attendance at team meetings, relevant seminars and staff meetings
- Proactive in keeping across new fundraising initiatives and trends in the sector
- Represent Animals Asia at internal and external functions and events as required
Experience, training & qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of Regular Giving programs including acquisition, retention and operations
- Ability to analyse data and convert findings and insights into operational outcomes
- Experience in developing and maintaining a regular giving budget
- Stakeholder Management and program coordination skills
- People Management experience
- Understanding of Product Development and Product Ownership
- Understanding of broader fundraising principles
- Experience with Blackbaud Enterprise CRM, MS Power BI
- A passion for animal welfare and protection
- Possess passion, commitment and an understanding of best practice fundraising and a passion for working in the sector
Communication / interpersonal skills:
- Excellent understanding of direct marketing principles
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to write for and present to a variety of audiences
- Strong people skills with a high level of organisational awareness and ability to liaise with a broad and diverse range of stakeholders
- Be flexible, adaptable, people oriented with strong supporter care focus
- Commitment to professionalism, discretion and confidentiality
- Be able to take on accountability and to take the lead
- Proactive, with a “can do” attitude, always results driven to improve performance
- Ability to display initiative, common sense and diplomacy
- Well presented, articulate and polite
Knowledge and abilities:
- An exceptional understanding of direct marketing best-practice principles including return on investment goals, testing and segmentation strategies
- An understanding of the process required to support a comprehensive relationship marketing program and awareness of new initiatives and trends in the discipline
- Excellent ability to project-manage multiple campaigns, whilst maintaining exceptional attention to detail and remaining results driven to achieve budgets
- The ability to exercise initiative and effectively plan and prioritise work to meet deadlines, and to work calmly under pressure
- The ability to develop long-term plans and to analyse performance
- Strong computer literacy in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in a complex environment as well as autonomously without close supervision
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to take initiative and to improve and enhance existing systems and procedures (quality assurance)
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and comply with privacy requirements
- Demonstrated ability to work across diverse stakeholders.
Summary of position:
An exciting opportunity exists for a motivated Direct Marketing Manager to join the Animals Asia fundraising team, overseeing all Regular Giving programs.
The purpose of this senior role is to oversee the development of a strategic and integrated supporter relationship-marketing program and to raise the level of donor acquisition, retention and upgrade of regular giving donors.
Core responsibilities include the development, management and implementation of the donor programs (acquisition and retention) and the effective donor acknowledgement and care communications to support these activities.