At AQA, we’re committed to advancing education and we’re committed to our people. As the largest provider of academic qualifications in the UK, we mark over seven million GCSEs and A-levels each year and it’s our people who make this happen.
Head of Analysis and Data Science
Guildford / Manchester
£67,000 + Attractive benefits
Are you a strategic leader with ambition and drive, who shares our organisation’s values and passion for improving the lives of young people through education?
We’re looking for an inspirational and influential people leader who can provide direction and perspective for AQA’s Analytics and Data Science team. The team are responsible for helping the business to understand how it is performing through the optimisation of data assets to support and enhance our business performance and to support our assessment research functions and standards setting.
As the Head of Analysis and Data Science you will be pivotal in its key contribution to strengthening leadership capacity, supporting teams and delivering major transformational, cultural and process change across the area. You’ll be great at forging relationships and networks across multi-site organisations, whilst inspiring the team towards our vision of shaping world class practice across the education sector.
What you’ll do
- Lead by developing and delivering team plans in line with business area and corporate strategy.
- Lead and champion a vision of how data science and analytics intersect with the theory and practice of assessment, to ensure data science and analytics expertise is deployed to improve the quality of assessment processes and the validity of assessment products.
- Engender high levels of performance by modelling best practice leadership habits and championing AQA’s values and behaviours.
- Develop and be accountable for the annual programme of data science and analytical services to the business. This includes:
- managing organisational risk
- ensuring an appropriate balance between potentially competing drivers, risks and medium to long term implications
- ensuring services meet the needs of customers across the business
- support and inform the efficient delivery of corporate and departmental strategic objectives, particularly in relation to the delivery of qualifications.
- Oversee planning activities, determination of customer needs and priorities, compliance with regulations, and the management of risk, quality, time schedules and costs.
- Provide in person leadership to a team that is split across sites, significant travel will be expected.
What you’ll have
- Understanding of current thinking on the provision of data science and analytical services to a business operating in a technical environment, particularly in relation to the theory and practice of assessment.
- Knowledge of a range of analytics and data science methodologies and technologies and their purposes, uses and potential impact.
- Strategic business planning and analytical expertise combined with good judgement and the ability to make evidence-based decisions collegially, sometimes under time pressure, fostering a sense of calm and resilience within teams.
- Strong and proven evidence of excellent people management and leadership skills.
- Experience in leading teams through change.
- Excellent stakeholder management with experience of influencing, networking, persuading and engaging to help ensure desired outcomes are delivered
- Proven ability to think creatively and solve complex problems.
At AQA we recognise our employees’ contribution and in return we are proud to offer an extensive reward and benefit package. This includes:
- 25 days’ annual leave rising to 30 days, plus all Bank Holidays and additional Christmas leave
- 35 hour working week
- excellent contributory pension (6% - 11.5% dependent on employee contribution)
- life assurance
- an enhanced maternity/paternity scheme
- access to an Employee Assistance Programme offering support with counselling, legal advice and money matters
- access to our Learning Management System, providing self-directed learning from high quality e-learning content
- cycle to work scheme
- interest free travel loans.
How to apply
Please upload your CV and covering letter via our AQA job portal.
- Closing date for applications is midnight on Monday 20 September 2021.
- Zoom video interviews to be held late September and October 2021.
AQA is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community regardless of gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, disability status, citizenship, or any other aspect which makes people unique.
AQA is committed to the safeguarding of children and adults at risk. We’re dedicated to reducing the risk of employing or contracting any person intent on abusing their position of trust, along with identifying and responding to any incident of alleged abuse from its employees or associates fairly and swiftly. For more information on safeguarding at AQA please visit the AQA website.
We have a preferred supplier list (PSL) in place.
Unsolicited CVs will be treated as a gift. We will not be subject to or liable under your terms and conditions for agency fees.