An experienced and self-motivated manager is sought for this new role managing the operational running of the Cathedral Complex.
The role holder will have experience of facilities management and have a flexible and hands on approach to working in this unique environment.
St Mary’s RC Cathedral, Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh
Job Description: Cathedral Complex Manager
Reporting to: The Parish Administrator
Place of Work: 61 York Place, Edinburgh
Hours: 21 hours per week, can be worked flexibly by arrangement
To support the work of the Parish Administrator, particularly regarding building maintenance and visitor management.
The Cathedral Complex, incorporating the Cathedral and offices and accommodation at 61-63 York Place, requires a great deal of maintenance and a fundraising campaign will ensure the continued investment in the fabric of the buildings.
The job holder reports to the Parish Administrator and communicates with suppliers of goods and services to the parish. He/she may also communicate with parishioners, visitors, volunteers, the Finance team, and the Parish Council and its Committees.
- Monitor and maintain agreed service and building standards (cleanliness, fabric repair etc) through regular inspection, collaboration and communication with service providers, the clergy and parishioners so that the space meets needs.
- Gather feedback to monitor that facilities meet expectations.
- Health and Safety Audits conducted and documented to ensure compliance with legislation, and ensure remedial action is taken where appropriate.
- Emergency Evacuation procedures designed and implemented in line with legislation.
- Carry out necessary fire evacuation training as required with staff and volunteers.
- Ensure all H&S mandatory testing is carried out and records kept.
- To organise and manage commercial contracts and ensure the buildings are run as sustainably as possible.
- Key processes developed and implemented for planning e.g. create a 5-year maintenance plan, event management and programme management.
- Ensure relevant committees are regularly updated regarding Facilities initiatives.
Authorities and Limitations
- No line management responsibilities but working closely with the Parish Secretary and providing cover if required.
- Stakeholder management.
- Create plans and seek approval.
- Once plans and budgets are approved, empowered to implement.
- Hands on, to take initiative and deal with issues, as limited resources available.
Job challenges and problem solving
- Build credible and trustworthy relationships with stakeholders.
- Deliver advice and guidance on building works and fundraising organisation -value for money, engagement etc.
- Respond to varying levels of demand and prioritise effectively.
- Manage expectations effectively.
- Ability to use an external network to find information.
- Challenge to prevent waste and optimise services.
- Ability to communicate – oral and written, to a variety of audiences
- Strong preference for action, responsibility and self-motivation, with ability to work under pressure and under own initiative
- 2-3 years experience in a Facilities Management role is desirable
- Good IT skills – e.g. Excel, MS Project
- Budget and Project Management
- Building knowledge
- Communicating and Influencing
- Customer Focus
- Planning and Organising
- Contribution to results
- Preference for action
Terms and Conditions
12-month Fixed Term Contract initially
Flexible working by arrangement
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.