Finance Officer – Ark UK Programmes
Reports to: Finance Controller
Location: Yellow Building, London, W11 4AN (currently based in the office 2 days a week and subject to review)
Salary: circa. £30k, 11% employer pension contribution
Closing date: Monday 3rd January 2022, 22:00 hours - applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis, so early applications are advised
Interviews: Monday 10th and Tuesday 11th January 2022
Ark is an education charity and network of 39 schools that exists to make sure that all children, regardless of their background, have access to a great education and real choices in life. We have always believed that, with the right approach, every school has the potential to succeed - even those in the most challenging circumstances. Nothing should be a barrier to children achieving.
At Ark, we want to change the lives of children everywhere, not just in our own schools. So, we create and incubate charitable programmes (Ark Ventures) designed not only to help pupils in Ark schools, but also to improve education systems as a whole. Some of the current Ventures provide Maths and English curriculum support to schools, help career changers get into teaching, provide early years childcare and provide catch-up tuition to help students get further. Once Ark Ventures become sustainable they may spin out from Ark and become independent charities.
We are now seeking a Finance Officer to play a key role in ensuring the ongoing success of Ark UK Programmes’ work with these ventures as they continue to expand and also to incubate new ventures.
The Finance team at Ark aspires to provide an excellent service to stakeholders across the Ventures and maintain high standards through continuous improvement. This role is a great opportunity to join this supportive and ambitious team and provide finance support to the UK-based ventures. We are looking for someone who is motivated to be part of a strong team that ensures the smooth running of the organisation’s financial operations. Communication and delivering high quality output to time is a fundamental part of this role and the successful candidate will have the ability to develop strong working relationships with colleagues across the organisation. You will receive excellent exposure to the rest of the organisation in this role and we are actively looking to offer a number of development opportunities to enhance the already strong skill set of the successful candidate.
- Process purchase orders, new supplier checks, supplier invoices and employee expense claims on a daily basis, ensuring accounting records are accurate and up-to-date
- Process and reconcile credit card payments and statements
- Reconcile and process monthly payroll and social security journal
- Reconcile supplier statements and follow-up any queries or overdue payments
- Prepare weekly payment batches for suppliers and employee expense claims and carry out appropriate checks
- Issue remittance advices to suppliers
- Review creditors ledger to ensure it is accurate and follow up aged balances.
- Manage accruals/prepayments and related journals to ensure accuracy of management accounts.
- Create and issue invoices to customers and record subsequent cash receipts
- Review debtors ledger to ensure it is accurate and chase overdue receipts
- Receipt, recording, safekeeping and banking of any cheques
- On a weekly basis post invoices raised in Salesforce by the sales team to the accounting system
- Undertake a review of items received by transfer direct to bank account
Banking – Sterling and/ or Multicurrency
- Update the cash books in a timely manner and ensure all non-purchase ledger payments are reflected in accounting records (bank charges, one-off suppliers)
- Control of petty cash, ensuring receipts are obtained for all purchases and proper records are maintained
- Undertake monthly bank reconciliations
- 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) including Maths and English
- Working towards technician level accountancy qualification (such as AAT/ACA/ACCA/CIMA) or equivalent
- Right to work in the UK
- Deep commitment to Ark’s mission of providing an excellent education to every student, regardless of background
- Able to perform financial tasks with accuracy and few errors and takes time to review details to ensure work is consistently accurate and to a high standard.
- Able to take the lead to resolve issues, take responsibility for work and ensure that desired outcomes are achieved.
- Emphasis on the customer and delivering quality, remaining solution-focused within a fast-paced environment
- Listens well and communicates effectively with non-financial staff and external suppliers. Able to build positive relationships with stakeholders.
- Able to follow instructions accurately, but make good judgments and lead when required
- Willingness and ability to learn and operate new systems and processes and suggest improvements
- Good knowledge and understanding of double entries and accounting conventions
View the full job description and person specification on our dedicated careers portal.
- 27 days annual leave plus bank holidays, rising with each year of service
- We are committed to providing high-quality professional learning throughout your career with us and offer a variety of training sessions and experiences designed to meet your needs
- Access to Ark Rewards scheme offering savings from over 3,000 major retailers, interest-free loans available for season tickets or a bicycle and gym discounts offering up to 40% off your local gym.
- Generous pension scheme - you will receive an 11% contribution from Ark and have the flexibility to include your own contributions if you wish. You will receive a lump-sum upon retirement
How to apply
Apply with a CV and cover letter on our online recruitment portal. Applications to be submitted by 10pm on 3 January 2022 but please note: we will be reviewing applications on an on-going basis and this advert may close earlier than advertised depending on the level of response.
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people; all successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.