Information, Advice and Support Volunteer
Aim of Position:
To support the Ask Us Nottinghamshire service to provide high quality, confidential and impartial information, advice and support to families living in Nottingham City and Nottinghamshire with children and young people with SEN and Disabilities (SEND) aged 0 to 25. The volunteers support parents/carers, children and young people with issues relating to their education, social and health needs. Support is provided individually and in groups, offering telephone and face-to-face contact in order to improve outcomes for families with a child with SEND.
- Listening to parents, children and young people and giving impartial advice and information about the SEN system and sign posting them to other agencies and services where necessary.
- Support parents & young people with paperwork and filling in forms (such as EHCP applications).
- Helping parents prepare for meetings.
- Accompany parents & young people to meetings in schools and in community or local authority venues.
- Some knowledge of the Special Educational Needs system and/or a willingness to learn
- An adequate level of literacy skills in order to be able to help with form filling.
- Ability to support parents and young people in meetings and help them put across their point of view
- Patience and understanding
- Good listening skills
- DBS check
- Attend induction training
- Complete online training including safeguarding & GDPR
- Attend 1-1 and peer supervision & quarterly team meetings
- Follow Ask Us Nottinghamshire Volunteer policy and procedures and work under the supervision of the Line Manager and Volunteer Coordinator
Benefits to Volunteer
- Flexible hours that fit in with other commitments
- Travel expenses covered.
- Westfield Healthcare to support your wellbeing.
- Gaining experience of working with children and young people with SEN and their parents/carers.
- Working with an experienced and motivated team
- Induction training and SEN IPSEA training (with more CPD opportunities available)
- Ongoing support and supervision.
Is this something you'd like to get involved with?
To Apply, please send us your CV below with a statement telling us a bit about yourself, your experience and why you would like to volunteer with us.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.