The Head of Major Giving & Events will actively fundraise from a portfolio of individual major donor prospects and donors for Autistica’s work around the UK, with responsibility for 2020-21 fundraising target of £480k (Major Donor & Legacies), £75k (Community & Events). They will lead and line manage a team of two and operate at a Senior level, working with SMT, trustees and key external ‘connectors’ to build effective and long-lasting relationships, in order to raise funds.
This role is crucial in implementing and driving a successful fundraising strategy for our Major Donor & Legacy programme and Community & Events. The post holder will be expected to hit the ground running and will have a significant focus on growing Autistica’s new business pipelines.
Hours: A part-time role, 4 days per week. Based on a 37.5 hour week pro rata.
Reporting into: Director of Fundraising
Direct reports: Major Donor Manager, Senior Community and Events Fundraiser
• Responsibility for overall strategy for major donor, legacy, community, challenge and events income streams ensuring plans are on track with adjustments made as needed.
• Line manage major donor manager and senior community and events fundraiser to ensure income targets (£470k, £75k) are met.
• Closely support the Major Donor Manager and Senior Community and Events Fundraiser carrying out weekly 121s, quarterly KPI updates and appraisals.
• Work closely with major donor manager and senior community and events fundraiser to create a range of (where appropriate) autism friendly special events for stewardship and new business opportunities.
• Work closely with major donor manager and community and events officer to review all stewardship and new business enewsletters, donor reports, proposals, website updates and other communications to ensure all opportunities are maximised.
• Ensure financial reporting is maintained and accurate including monthly budgeting and forecasting, daily and weekly income tracking.
• Ensure donors receive exceptional stewardship and are thanked in a timely manner with the team responsible.
• Lead on stewardship and cultivation strategy with the support of the major donor manager.
• Represent your income streams across the organisation including attending relevant “Heads of” meetings, reporting income in the weekly chaser meetings and keeping the Director of Fundraising abreast of activity.
• Responsible for liaising with Senior Management Team and Trustees to represent income streams and engage these networks as appropriate.
• Account manage our top-tier major donors (£50k-£100k gift level pa) to ensure they receive great stewardship and meet financial targets.
Key skills and qualifications
• Degree level education or equivalent
• At least five years’ experience working within a senior major donor and/or corporate fundraising role.
• Proven ability to provide inspirational leadership, management and direction to develop the capabilities of diverse teams.
• Ability to interact at all levels and across all sectors with the gravitas and authority to influence and negotiate.
• Engaging and inspiring communications skills both written and verbal.
• Confident, flexible, adaptable and a practical, ‘can do’ attitude.
• Highly strategic with the ability to analyse, interpret and use data to plan for the future.
• Sound knowledge of legislation, regulations and financial issues related to fundraising.
• Excellent written and numerical skills particularly in relation to fundraising budgets.
• Experience of using Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook and CRM database systems.
• A quick learner with the ability to work both independently and as part of a small team.
• Experience of contributing to the creation of innovative fundraising events
Available for some evening and weekend work.
We encourage applications from autistic people, people with other neurodevelopmental conditions, people who are BAME and those from lower socio-economic backgrounds or who are currently under-represented within the charity sector.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.