We are looking for a passionate, enthusiastic and motivated Coordinator who will oversee and develop the Take a Break short breaks service for children and young people with learning disabilities and/or autism.
Take a Break (TAB) offers school holiday camps as well as individual and small group activities throughout the year. TAB is the children and young people’s operation of Barnet Mencap’s Short Breaks service. This role would suit someone with a background in sports, arts and crafts, or drama and dance with experience of working with children with learning disabilities; someone who enjoys a fast-paced environment and has a real drive for children’s activities. The role will be both administrative and active, based in Hendon and across the London Borough of Barnet.
In this role you will oversee the operational excellence of our camps and clubs as well developing the year-round community-based children’s service. You will ensure that services are delivered in line with company and Care Quality Commission requirements, and will achieve business performance targets.
Take a Break work will require working in early mornings, evenings, weekends and school holidays as well as during regular office hours.
The successful candidate will be required to complete an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application for work with children and adults
We are looking for candidates with a background in children’s activities, children’s sport, arts, drama and childcare who hold a relevant level 4 qualification or above, or who are working towards such a qualification.
We are looking for someone with the following skills and abilities:
- To communicate effectively and to inspire confidence and motivate children and young people aged up to 25 of all abilities;
- To demonstrate perseverance, patience and flexibility;
- To react calmly, quickly and effectively in emergency situations;
- To demonstrate excellent planning and time management, working within tight budgets;
- To communicate effectively with parents, carers, teachers and professionals from other agencies;
- To be able to lead, coach and develop a team of support workers
- Good IT and administration skills.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assess the needs of potential clients of the TAB short break project
- Ensure that individual care plans are implemented and monitored by Support Workers for each child or young person's short stay or support session
- Promote the value and respect for individuals’ rights and needs; giving opportunities to make choices; giving opportunities to gain life skills and to develop relationships; and to be involved in non-segregated activities in the community
- Keeping children and young people safe, and keeping safeguarding at the front of all our work by identifying and resolving any potential issues and working with other colleagues and agencies
- Plan and carry out all TAB work in a person-centred way
- Ensure that the project is sensitive to and meets the cultural needs of individuals. Establish and develop links with parents, carers and relatives in order to provide sensitive services.
- Develop flexible services which respond to the needs of the clients and parents and carers
- Ensure a high standard of medical care is given to those clients with health issues and eating difficulties, e.g. epilepsy, asthma etc.
- Assist the Registered Manager to co-ordinate the day-to-day running of the Take a Break project to include planning community support sessions, group work and activity programmes with appropriate staff rotas in place
- Maintain effective communication systems including effective short break booking systems and dealing with related telephone calls, emails etc.
- Have good IT skills and knowledge of Microsoft packages including cloud-based systems
- Maintain accurate records in accordance with GDPR and Data Protection requirements
- Keep records and implement documentation as required by the CQC
- Attend reviews and other meetings as appropriate
- Assist with regular quality audits for Barnet Mencap and our commissioners.
- Positively promote teamwork and lead in team building sessions for TAB staff
- Assist in the recruitment and selection of support staff in conjunction with the Manager and Chief Executive
- Maintain effective supervision communication systems including written procedures and handover notes to maintain continuity of care
- Assist in implementing inductions for new staff
- Offer regular supervision to staff which is of a high professional standard and quality
- Carry out quality appraisals yearly with six-month reviews
- Identify staff training needs
- Maintain and monitor budgets ensuring the systems operate within budget and in conjunction with Barnet Mencap's procedures. Suggest improvements to systems and highlight any issues to the Manager.
- Take responsibility for TAB budgets in the absence of the Manager, e.g. Petty Cash
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Ensure that high standards of health and safety are maintained and that procedures are reviewed and followed
- Contribute to developing in-house procedures, e.g. risk assessments and lifting & handling assessments
- Have a willingness to take controlled risks, and to be adventurous, but managing those risks carefully.
- Ensure that a high standard of food is served when appropriate, and that food hygiene regulations are adhered to when food is prepared by TAB staff
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by means of reading literature and journals etc.
Actively promote equal opportunities policies and anti-discriminatory practices
PROMOTION OF SERVICE
Develop links with the community and other organisations to promote positive images of people with learning disabilities including utilising Barnet Mencap’s social media platforms.
It is expected that the post holder will perform the role in a way that furthers the values of the organisation with reference to equal access and opportunity and the high quality of service provided.
In order to deliver services effectively, a degree of flexibility is needed and the postholder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above and be required to change shifts in response to the needs of the service. Such duties, however, will fall within the scope of the post, at the appropriate grade.
The duties and responsibilities of this post may change over a period of time. Only significant additional duties or responsibilities as required by the Chief Executive will render the post for re-evaluation.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.