Are you passionate about supporting people? Do you want to make a difference for people affected by eating disorders?Are you looking to enhance your skills and empower people to get the support that they deserve?
Echo Peer Coaching is a free telephone support service that matches volunteers who have previously cared for someone with an eating disorder with other carers who are currently supporting someone through recovery. Not having someone to talk to regularly about the challenges and frustrations of supporting someone with an eating disorder can be lonely and isolating. It can be hard to find someone who understands what they’re going through, and they might be worried about how to give the best care to their loved one. Throughout their illness, it’s essential that carers take care of their own wellbeing, too. Echo coaches are volunteers who have their own experience of caring for a loved one and coming out the other side. Through weekly 30-minute phone conversations, over a 6-month period, coaches give carers a space where they feel understood, while empowering them to make the most positive impact possible on their loved one’s recovery.
As an Echo Peer Coach, you will receive online training giving you all the skills needed to empower carers throughout their loved ones illness, helping them break free from the traps that prevent recovery. You will join a passionate team of staff and volunteers working towards ending the pain and suffering caused by eating disorders.
Requirements of becoming an Echo Peer Coach:
- a personal experience of caring for someone with an eating disorder (as a parent, partner or sibling)
- the person who you have cared for needs to be in a sustained recovery. Beat suggests this means that person has been outside of all treatment for at least two years, and living a confident life in recovery.
- a passion to help others, prepared to share experience to help with this
- supply two referees who can comment on your suitability for the role
- internet access and able to use a computer (to complete the online training)
- a reliable telephone connection