Our Team & Job Summary
You will join a small and dynamic team comprising our Chief Executive (CE), Learning Programme Manager (LPM) and Events Sales Manager (ESM). Each position has a distinct area of responsibility within the organisation, and we are looking for an experienced and engaging Office Administrator to support us with the day-to-day operations of the charity and social enterprise.
The Office Administrator role is varied, with multiple areas of responsibility across the organisation. You’ll need to be a confident and independent worker with the drive to see all tasks through to completion. At BLS you’ll have the opportunity to put your stamp on the role with the freedom to propose projects and initiatives as you see fit.
You must have:
- At least 2 years of experience in a similar, administrative role.
- Excellent communication skills and a positive, can-do attitude.
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to manage conflicting workloads and priorities.
- Passion for the charity’s purpose.
- Highly IT literate. Competent in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook & Office 365.
- The ability to engage positively with others, build relationships and manage the expectations of multiple stakeholders.
- Sound, independent judgement and a willingness to speak your mind and share new ideas.
You might have:
- Experience in the non-profit and charity sector.
- Experience of other software including CRM, MailChimp, Canva, Photoshop etc.
- Experience in financial admin and using Sage Accounting software.
- Ability to identify system weaknesses and develop systems to improve efficiency.
- An interest in social media or digital marketing. Experience of social media management is even better.
- Experience of planning and coordinating meetings and events.
Role & Responsibilities
- Act as the central point of contact for all telephone and email enquiries.
- Assist the Chief Executive with the coordination and facilitation of monthly Board Meetings. Send out meeting invites, create meeting agendas, share pre and post-meeting documents with attendees and take meeting minutes.
- Coordinate team meetings and share action points.
- Maintain a secure and accurate filing system for all documentation.
- Assist with the digitisation of paper records.
- Maintain accurate staff records and update as required. Ensure all necessary employment documentation is present and up to date.
- Maintain training records for employees and boat contractors. Organise training refreshers when required.
- Assist with recruitment and new starter admin for BLS and the Board of Trustees.
- Assist with any other general administrative support as required by CE, LPM and ESM.
- Create and send client invoices and ensure timely payment of invoices.
- Generate debtor analysis and work with LPM & ESM to maintain accurate debtor records and chase outstanding payments.
- Prepare and submit quarterly VAT return to HMRC.
- Cross-check monthly credit card expenditure against bank transactions and reconcile organisational bank accounts on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Manage all expense claims.
- Manage petty cash requests, record all outgoings and collate receipts.
- Set up weekly payment runs via online banking and process ad-hoc payments as directed by the Chief Executive.
- Manage the monthly payroll and pension payments to staff, HMRC and pension provider.
- Maintain accurate filing system for supplier invoices and credit card payments.
- Collate information for production of annual audited accounts.
Education/ Commercial Bookings
- Assist with commercial and learning programme enquiries for via email and phone.
- Assist in maintaining a record of all education and commercial hire of the barge.
- Manage the collection of pre-trip information for education & commercial trips. For example, client contact details, BAME monitoring forms, client set-up requirements, etc.
- Manage the collection and digitalisation of post-trip feedback.
- Assist with the creation of booking sheets/ event orders for all hires. Share completed booking sheets with the relevant crew members, teachers and skippers.
Office Management & Boat Operations
- Manage and schedule regular cleaning of the office and boat.
- Order office supplies as required.
- Liaise with suppliers of office equipment and boat maintenance. Assist with the scheduling of service and maintenance visits according to the annual calendar.
- Coordinate with IT support for fast resolution when issues are reported.
- Collect and drop-off paperwork to/from the boat on a weekly basis.
- Record boat defects and maintenance requirements as reported by Skippers and liaise with ESM to action these issues.
- Ensure all regulatory and governance inspections, reports, annual returns, etc. are scheduled and undertaken or submitted in the required timescales.
Social Media & Communications
- Assist with the development of content for the Electric Barge & Floating Classroom social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook).
- Assist with scheduling social media posts when required.
- Assist with content creation for Electric Barge mailing list subscribers via MailChimp.
- Support in the maintenance and upkeep of websites (Squarespace).
- Support the CE with the maintenance and upkeep of the BLS property on Harrow Road.
- Ensure compliance with Health & Safety requirements.
- Issue invoices and collect service charge from top floor flat leaseholder.
- Maintain service contract for central heating and schedule biannual inspections of fire safety equipment.