The Head of Finance role is pivotal to the success of the charity, ensuring all project, statutory and budget holder reporting is carried out to a high level of accuracy and timeliness.
The Head of Finance will work directly to the Chief Executive Officer as a key member of the senior management team. The postholder will have responsibility for strategic financial planning and for ensuring that the charity has robust financial management and oversight at all levels of the operation. The role requires a strategic, tactical and rigorous approach playing a pivotal role in ensuring the charity maintains a strong and credible position as we continue to grow.
This role will require a minimum of 2 days a week in the office, but flexibility on location on other days.
- Oversight of the organisations daily financial operations and line-management of the finance team;
- To keep abreast of all the charity accounting requirements and provide sound and timely financial advice and information to The Executive Team and Board, including monthly management information;
- To ensure that key financial processes, systems and practices are in place to ensure robust financial decision-making, budget setting, resource allocation and financial performance monitoring at all levels of the charity. Review and update of financial procedures, with reference to Charity Commission checklists, and changing requirements, at least annually;
- To advise the Executive and Board of Trustees on financial risk and to ensure that financial risk is mitigated through having robust financial practices and contingencies in place;
- To work strategically with the Exec Team and the Development and Sustainability Team to drive all aspects of income generation;
- To act as a spokesperson for the charity to funders and in other settings, as required;
- To act as Company Secretary to the Charity and to ensure that the statutory requirements of this role are fulfilled;
- Organisation and preparation of information for the charity’s annual audit, liaising with the charity’s appointed auditors;
- Oversight of income funds to ensure correct use of funds and ease of reporting back to funders, and correct allocation between restricted and unrestricted funds. Provision of financial support to project teams in creating budgets, business partnering and reporting back to stakeholders;
- Maintenance of monthly bookkeeping and running of management information on Xero, Approval Max, Salesforce and related financial systems;
- Through supervision of finance staff to ensure that internal and external financial reporting requirements are met by the charity. This includes cash flow forecasting, VAT, tax and Gift Aid issues and routine financial monitoring and reporting at all levels of the charity;
- Oversight of the monthly payroll & pensions;
- To manage external relationships with finance-related partners including banks, auditors, pension funds, investment managers and relevant others.
- To inform the financial aspects of grant and funding applications and business proposals to ensure that all delivery contracts are costed to reflect agreed levels of core business overheads and profit margins;
- Maintaining a schedule of all contracts held by the charity. To include monitoring and review of contracts in a timely manner that secures the best value and impact for the charity from all contracted arrangements;
- Work closely with other teams to ensure CRM is robust, up to date and operationalised;
- To act as a positive representative for the charity and to model the values and principles of the charity in all dealings with funders, strategic partners, staff and service users;
- To work in accordance with Best Beginnings’ policies, procedures and values;
- To undertake such other duties as may be required that are commensurate with the scope and level of responsibilities of this post.