Do you want to make a real difference to young person’s lives? Do you care about helping pupils to achieve their goals and succeed?
In the wake of the coronavirus school closures, inequality in education is starker than ever with disadvantaged pupils facing up to six months more learning loss than their affluent peers. As a school, we are committed to closing the attainment gap for our pupils and ensuring that every young person at our school receives the help and support they need over the next academic year and beyond. We are therefore pleased to be hiring an academic coach to work with our pupils during the school day to ensure that they are confident, able and ready to thrive in their learning.
The role will see you working with and mentoring students both in small groups (max. 5 pupils) and through 1:1 support. You will work alongside main classroom teachers to identify students who require further assistance and carry out programmes of support. You will be an integral part of the school providing continuity to students and ensuring their learning stays on track. Therefore, there will also be the opportunity for occasional cover of lessons for an absent teacher (with full cover work provided) to guarantee that students learning is not disrupted by the absence and continues seamlessly.
We are a passionate, hardworking and forward-thinking young team with 7 of our staff members currently on the Teach First programme and 2 trainees. We are part of a group of ‘Teaching Schools’ with strong collaborative links working across our local school network and multi-academy trust. As part of our culture we have high expectations of our pupils both academically and behaviourally and are rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted. We have a diverse student body some with pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds, some shy or lacking in self-esteem and the role would be to support and encourage their learning potential.
This is an exciting opportunity for anyone considering a career within the teaching profession, social sector or in a large business. The role will afford the right candidate the chance to see all aspects of a successful working school and to be a part of the educational support for the students within an equally supportive staff team. The wellbeing of our all of our staff is important to us, and we will endeavour to help new team members develop and thrive in their role.
This is a 1 year fixed term contract in the first instance however, the Academy is eager to support those who may wish to move forward into a career in teaching and there is potential for this to lead to a permanent post.
The successful candidate will have the ability to connect with and work alongside students to promote supportive working relationships, enabling them to catch up with any gaps in learning caused by the months of school missed over Covid19.
- You will have a professional attitude along with a friendly approachable demeanour.
- You will be flexible and able to work successfully in different areas of the Academy
- You will be able to help formulate ideas to support new learning in the classroom.
- You will be educated to Graduate level in Mathematics, Science, English, Psychology, Geography History, Engineering or a related subject with a minimum of a 2:2
- You will be passionate about supporting students to reach their full potential both academically and personally to enable them to move forward into the world and achieve their goals.
- You will, as with all staff take a leading role in the development of the Academy moving forward.
- You will possess a keen emotional intelligence along with high levels of Literacy and numeracy and be able to encourage student ‘buy in’ to their learning.
- Having a say in the future and development of an Academy
- Potential to become a full-time role for those interested in training to teach
- A supportive team with a strong focus on staff well-being
- The chance to make a real difference and improve the lives of young people
- Term time only
- Competitive salary
- Opportunity for development and strong leadership support
- Gain experience across all areas of the Academy
Bexhill Academy is a thriving community of like-minded professionals dedicated to the teaching and learning of local children.
If the possibilities of this post excite you and you would like to have a further conversation about it, please contact Executive Principal, Catherine Davies.
Further information and an Academy application form may be found on the Academy website.
We very much look forward to hearing from you.
Bexhill Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young children, therefore all positions are subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS).