In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to revolutionise the digital channels of one of the UK’s leading rights NGOs. This is an exciting position for an exceptional communicator with digital skills who wants to work for a high-impact campaigning NGO.
Big Brother Watch is a leading voice in the UK protecting privacy and has a strong track record of successful campaigns that defend civil liberties in the UK. We are seeking to significantly grow our reach, fundraising and campaigns through digital channels. The central objective of the role is to produce original, persuasive digital content and deploy it across multiple channels.
Job title: Digital Communications Officer
Reports to: Director
Working hours: Full time (negotiable)
Contract: Temporary for initial period (with view to becoming permanent)
Starting salary: circa £30,000
Application deadline: Weds 21st August
Start date: ASAP
Whether you’re a professional digital marketer with several years experience, or a highly digitally capable self-starter with excellent demonstrable campaign experience – if you’re passionate and committed to Big Brother Watch’s mission, we’d like to hear from you.
We are looking for a passionate all-rounder who understands the importance of excellent online communications in both a campaigning and fundraising context. The Digital Communications Officer will manage and have responsibility for all Big Brother Watch’s digital channels including websites, email and social media platforms.
The successful candidate will have experience working across a range of digital channels, including social media and video, website CMS, and ideally (but not essential) email marketing platforms such as MailChimp. We are looking for someone who is able to produce creative graphics with a brand identity; who is self-motivated, able to work by themselves as well as collaborate with colleagues. You will be flexible, diligent, able to work under pressure and manage a busy and sometimes competing workload.
Big Brother Watch
Big Brother Watch is a non-profit campaign organisation leading the protection of privacy and civil liberties in the UK in a time of enormous technological change. We are a small and dedicated team based in central London.
Our success relies on the dedication of our team – and if you share our passion for privacy and civil liberties, we want to hear from you.
If you are successful, we will contact you by Wednesday 28th August.
First round interviews will be held on Friday 30th August (flexible).
Second round interviews will be held on Friday 6th September (flexible).
- Develop and ensure delivery of Big Brother Watch’s digital strategy & communications calendar, encompassing social media, website, and email, working closely with the team.
- Develop packages of digital and physical campaign resources.
- Provide reports on website, email and social media performance.
- Monitor trends, sector standards and advise on new digital initiatives.
- Designing templates for our briefings and bespoke report templates.
- Work with Director to develop a supporter scheme and grow fundraising
- Manage the Big Brother Watch website structure, content and SEO
- Create, upload and edit content (including images and video), work with HTML
- Work with colleagues to ensure all content is kept up-to-date.
- Manage the newsletter schedule and mailouts, and other supporter journey engagement
- Oversee and ensure best practice in email content, testing, delivery and response rates.
- Manage and protect databases
- Manage Big Brother Watch’s Facebook, Twitter and social media platforms and demonstrate growth in outreach
- Develop and advise on new social media content.
- Create and edit videos and graphics
- Reposting BBW appearances in broadcast, online and print media via our digital channels
- General media monitoring of relevant news & press opportunities
- Contributing to press releases and press strategies
- Potential requirement to be on 24 hour call for media enquiries – this is on a rota system
- Strong understanding of social media, particularly Twitter, YouTube and Facebook, including best practice and trends
- Proficient production of graphics and video content; use of image, video and audio editing software; ability to produce podcasts, blogs, and other content
- Good understanding of the political climate
- Ability to write persuasive content and create engaging messaging for a variety of audiences and across multiple digital channels
- Ability to monitor trends and identify creative opportunities that support campaign objectives.
- Experience of managing website CMS, basic HTML
- Ability to monitor and analyse performance data
- Strong organisational skills with ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Friendly, positive and adaptable team player
- Interest in privacy and civil liberties
- 2+ years experience in digital campaigns, marketing or communications
- Interest in the intersection of technology and human rights
- Courage to hold the powerful to account
- Educated to degree level in a relevant field.
- Interest in free and open source software
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.