Location: London, EC4
Salary: £41,000 - £47,250 (depending on experience)
Accountable to: Senior Finance Manager
Contract type: Permanent, full time (open to flexible working and job-share options)
Overall Purpose of the Role:
As we launch an exciting and pioneering new Social Impact Investment trust- the Schroder BSC Social Impact Trust (SBSI) and come to launch our new 2025 strategy, it couldn’t be a more exciting time to join Big Society Capital. We are looking for an enthusiastic accountant with strong investment, fund accounting or financial services experience to play a critical role as part of a lean and motivated Finance Team.
This is a unique opportunity – your work will be complex and varied, offering exposure to a range of pioneering projects across Big Society Capital’s corporate and investment activity and supporting all financial processes in the organisation.
The position will support month end processes, assisting with the development of management information that enables deeper understanding of the organisation and its performance. You will also support investment accounting, fund and treasury accounting, the preparation of statutory reporting and returns; managing Big Society Capital’s liquidity and cash flow; and preparing and monitoring departmental budgets. The position will ensure that effective financial controls and procedures are maintained and will include some responsibility for the valuation of investments.
Work in the Finance team consisting of the Head of Finance, Senior Advisor – Financial Management, Senior Finance Manager, Management Accountant and Finance Assistant. Extensive contact with all members of staff, particularly the Investment team, the Legal and Compliance team and the Operations team.
Auditors, investees, administrators, bank, treasury management providers, regulatory advisers, FCA, HMRC,
Flexibility to develop the role and take on additional tasks as required
- Support month end processes for BSC, SBSI and any future client portfolios.
- Review quarterly Fund reporting and Audited Accounts from investments and ensure Fund income and expenditure and valuation gains/losses are accurately recorded in BSC’s accounting system. Liaison with Fund Managers as required.
- With the team, maintain and develop accurate accounting systems, records and reporting, with adequate financial controls. Review and develop processes for the valuation and financial monitoring of Big Society Capital’s social investment portfolio, including preparation for the Quarterly Valuation Committee.
- With the team, manage the organisation’s liquidity effectively, so that funds are available when required.
- With the team, develop departmental budgets and input into the forecasting process.
- Support statutory reporting, including group consolidation, and liaise with auditors to ensure accurate and timely completion of the year end process.
- Support preparation of annual tax returns and other tax requirements, liaising with external Tax advisers as required.
- Assist with the preparation of FCA reporting and other requirements.
- With the team, research and stay current with accounting standards, guidance and legislation, and apply to BSC’s financial and FCA reporting requirements.
- Undertake project work to support the development of BSC and the finance function, including supporting the introduction of external social impact investing products.
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or CA)
- Sound and up to date knowledge of UK GAAP
- Investment management, Fund Accounting or financial services experience
- Development of management information and insightful analysis
- Development of internal control procedures and frameworks
- Previous experience in a similar position
- Charity or not-for-profit organisation experience
- Social Investment experience
- FCA regulatory reporting
- Knowledge of IPEV (International Private Equity and Venture Capital) valuation guidelines
- Excel modelling experience
Skills, abilities and attributes
- Strong IT skills, particularly Excel and relevant knowledge of accounting IT systems
- Demonstrates excellent financial and numerical awareness: fully conversant with financial accounts and accounting procedures
- Analytical with excellent attention to detail and embraces complex data
- Ability to apply statutory principles, guidelines and legislation in practice
- An excellent communicator and strong team player, who can build solid relationships with key stakeholders internally and externally
- Superior judgment, discretion and utmost integrity
- Flexible and willing to take on different tasks as required
- Well organised & able to prioritise workload effectively
Salary and terms of employment
This is a full-time permanent role – open to flexible working or job-share options
Salary of £41,000 - £47,250 depending on experience)
Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential.
We want every colleague to be able to deliver their work with dignity, equality, comfort and independence. Our office is fully accessible with step-free access and an open-plan set up. We are open to accommodation requests regarding assistive technologies, accessibility tools, flexible working or any other reasonable adjustments that will make working or visiting here more accessible for you.
If you have a disability and require any support to assist you through the recruitment process, please get in touch with Ruth Davidson (HR Manager).
Please apply through BeApplied by midday on Wednesday 26th May 2021
Interviews – If your application is successful, you will be invited to a first-stage interview with Big Society Capital in late May - early June. Second-stage interviews will take place in early - mid June.
All Big Society Capital staff are currently working from home. We will be as flexible as possible in light of any COVID-19 priorities and challenges which you may be facing.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.