Who we are
As the UK’s leading social impact investor, our role is uniting capital, expertise and ideas to create better lives.
Working with expert partners, we seek to understand people’s needs first. Then, using our knowledge and capital, we collaborate and invest with fund managers who also want to create a better, sustainable future.
They, and the social enterprises and charities they invest in, create the impact. Our role is to bring the most relevant experts from our network to the table, generating ideas and connecting capital to where it’s most needed.
We want to give more people and communities the chance to have an impact on the issues they care about – from affordable homes, to vulnerable older people and preventing mental ill health. In this way, we create opportunities for investors and enterprises to generate systemic social change, not just for today but for generations to come.
Overall purpose of the role
Location:London, EC4A (currently remote working)
Accountable to: Senior Director, Social Sector Engagement
Contract type: Full-time, permanent
Salary band: £33,000 - £37,000 (depending on experience)
Big Society Capital has an important role to play in building understanding of social investment in the UK. We are looking for a creative new Social Sector Engagement and Communications Officer with a passion for creating a positive social impact to join our collaborative, dynamic team. The successful candidate will play a key role in our social sector engagement campaigns and events across Big Society Capital and our collaborative project, Good Finance.
As Social Sector Engagement and Communications Officer you will be responsible for:
• Supporting the Senior Director, Social Sector Engagement to ascertain the most appropriate channels and content to deliver impact through our engagement work
• Building value and impact of social sector engagement and positioning both internally and externally
• Brand strategy and supporting the delivery of Social Sector Engagement and Good Finance tone of voice and corporate identity
• Developing content to support our campaigns and events work including blogs, podcasts, webinars, videos and infographics
• Shaping and managing content for relevant parts of the Big Society Capital website and associated micro-sites
• Supporting the evaluation and maintenance of the Good Finance marketing strategy
• Managing the social sector input to Big Society Capital’s social media channels (LinkedIn, Twitter, etc) and campaign newsletters
• Developing creative approaches to engage with varying audiences from across the social sector
Campaigns and Events
• Coming up with ideas and identifying new opportunities and subject focus for existing and future campaigns
• Coordinating and delivering communications support for targeted engagement campaigns through different media channels
• Building constructive relationships with key partners to reach a wider audience and maximise impact including through campaign-related events
• Managing event organisation of regional network events supported by Big Society Capital: Let’s Talk Good Finance and Good Finance Live
• Co-ordinating communications support for social sector facing events supported by or attended by Big Society Capital
• Facilitating social sector speaking opportunities for social sector team
• Developing core resources for events, campaigns and 1:1 meetings with stakeholders
• Leading legacy work and maintenance of our campaign resources
Engagement Stakeholder Management
• Building relationships with marketing and communications colleagues in other organisations across the financial and social sector
• Managing relationships with a range of campaign and events partners; including infrastructure organisations like NAVCA, Vonne and SEUK
• Instructing, managing and working with external agencies when required (e.g. video resources, webinars, events)
• Working closely with other team members to ensure effective delivery of Good Finance and social sector communications objectives
• Working closely with other Big Society Capital marketing and communications team members to ensure effective delivery of Good Finance and social sector communications objectives within the wider organisational strategy
• Being supportive of delivery and development plans for our wider social sector engagement work in order to maximise reach and impact
• Attending internal stakeholder meetings and contributing to Big Society Capital wider team initiatives
• Evidencing impact through KPI reporting, using qualitative and quantitative data across social sector engagement to better inform our work
• Reviewing financial promotions and ensuring compliance with regulations
• Strong and relevant communications experience and a familiarity with common social media tools and website CMS tools
• Desire to develop knowledge of user centred design principles
• Keen interest in and understanding of public policy and current affairs and how their implications on the social sector
• Experience of working across the social sector or finance sector
• Experience and competency in video/sound editing and with in design packages including InDesign and Photoshop
• Experience and competency of user X design
• Event management experience
Skills, abilities and attributes
• A self-motivated ideas person, willing to take initiative and work independently
• Enthusiastic about developing solutions and making recommendations
• Creative flair and a keen eye for design and attention to detail
• An engaging writer with an ability to tell a story and bring ideas to life
• Strong ability to work well under pressure and adapt to change
• Natural at building relationships and an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
• Collegial, team player with a supportive approach and desire to be part of a close-knit team
• Passionate about supporting positive social impact in the UK through investment
• An appetite for continual learning and development of skills and expertise
• Ability to travel and commit to outreach activity across the UK
Salary and Terms of Employment
• This is a permanent, full-time role (open to flexible working).
• All applicants must have an existing Right to Work in the UK
• Salary of £33,000- £37,000 (depending on experience)
• Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential.
Please apply via our blind recruitment system, BeApplied by midday on Friday 29th May 2020.
Interviews will be held in early-mid June 2020.
Please download our Candidate Pack for further details.
All Big Society Capital staff are currently working from home. We will be as flexible as possible in light of any COVID-19 priorities and challenges which you may be facing.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.