Are you a Community Support Worker (Rehabilitation Officer for the Vision Impaired - ROVI) looking for the chance to make a significant contribution to the quality of life for vision impaired veterans? At Blind Veterans UK is the national charity helping blind ex-service men and women lead independent and fulfilling lives. We offer blind veterans access to the highest quality of services to help them discover life beyond sight loss.
Our Community Support Workers (Rehabilitation Officers – ROVI) work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, largely home based with regular face to face and telephone contact with Operational and Volunteer teams across the region. There will be regular visits to Blind Veterans UK’s training centres/regional offices.
In the Community Support Worker (Rehabilitation Officer – ROVI) role you will:
- Work in the East region - Beds, Bucks, Warwickshire, Northants, Leicestershire, Oxon, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk Norfolk, Essex & Hertfordshire (whilst the geographic location of the successful applicant will be taken into consideration when allocating cases, there will be an expectation to cover the whole region).
- Provide comprehensive, needs-led assessments and devise and implement training interventions in the core areas of orientation and mobility, independent living skills, low vision and communications in order to maintain and develop members’ independence and quality of life.
- Provide training to small groups of members, staff and volunteers, including awareness and sighted guide sessions, in a variety of settings.
- Initiate new ways of working in the community in response to identified areas of need
- Establish and maintain networks of contacts with organisations and groups in local communities to help members access a wide range of training, support and social networks.
- Be required to undertake a considerable amount of travel and overnight stays are required. As a consequence there will be times when there may be a need to work outside a standard working week.
- Need to expend occasional physical effort when moving equipment such as electronic magnifiers (CCTVs) around during home visits.
The ideal Community Support Worker (Rehabilitation Officer – ROVI) for this role will:
- Hold a Diploma in Higher Education (DipHE) in Rehabilitation Studies (VI), or equivalent ROVI qualification.
- Have experience working with people with a vision impairment including undertaking ROVI assessments and training.
- Have experience developing and delivering services to vision impaired people in the local community.
- Be enthusiastic, approachable and solution focused.
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office as well as excellent organisational and communication skills.
- Be able to travel to any part of the region, some of which may be inaccessible by public transport.
Benefits include free life assurance, sickness benefit scheme, childcare voucher scheme and Employee Assistance Programme, a generous pension scheme and potentially access to a company car dependant on geographical area.
To be considered for this role please send your CV and Supporting Statement of no more than 1000 words outlining your suitability for the role as detailed in the person specification
Closing date: Thursday 11 July 2019 at Midnight
Interview date: To be confirmed
Due to the high number of enquiries and applications we receive for our vacancies we don't acknowledge each one - if you haven't heard from us within a week of the closing date, please assume that we won't be inviting you for an interview. You are, of course, welcome to try again if a suitable post comes up. We are unable to provide feedback to candidates not shortlisted for interview.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.